Suggestions for reclaiming electric right of way?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
The electric utility came through out in front of the house and now I've got a bunch of limbs and some stumps about 12"-14". The ground is somewhat uneven there, I think because there're rocks piled there (not really a wall). To make it look a little nicer I was thinking about putting down some topsoil, planting grass, maybe some short-growing trees, bushes, etc.

The stumps are already cut pretty low - I was thinking of just putting dirt on top of them. I figure I could mow down any sucker growth.

I'm not exactly an expert landscaper, so I'm looking for suggestions.

Any pic's of the area?

I dunno...maybe cut the stumps as low as possible and smooth out the rough spots with sand. In the past I've had some projects that left some banks of sand. So for years now I've used sand to cover low spots and notice I can drive over it when wet and after awhile grass covers it without any help from me. Also sand is way less $ than topsoil and it's super easy to spread...like it doesn't get any easier.

Call a stump grinder.
Stump gone, easy to level the ground.

Also in the off season a tracked BH and operator can be rented out at a VG price. The BH can bury all the stumps in a hole...I've done that more that a few times with our swale hole projects.

I've been working on some stumps in my side yard for a few years now . . . I tend to take the long and cheap view . . . usually every time my friends come down to go camping I have them build their campfire on one of the stumps . . . given enough fire, time and weather you will eventually have no stump. In fact I think I'm down to my last stump this year . . . I may have to clear out some more trees just so they have more stumps to build their fire on since I can't have them building a fire on my actual lawn, right? :)

How about sowing some ryegrass in there?

Super easy to grow in just about any ground. Sow it fairly thick and it will be like a carpet. Some claim deer love it but I've not had that experience. Years ago I had asked our DNR what to grow for deer and they swore ryegrass was the best. I tried a small plot and the deer never even looked at it. lol

Backwoods Savage said:
Super easy to grow in just about any ground. Sow it fairly thick and it will be like a carpet. Some claim deer love it but I've not had that experience. Years ago I had asked our DNR what to grow for deer and they swore ryegrass was the best. I tried a small plot and the deer never even looked at it. lol

That is my experience with ryegrass also, we plant an Oat/Wheat/Clover blend for our foodplots.

Drill some mushroom plugs into the stumps and you'll have
a nice little mushroom garden and they'll speed up the decomposition
of the stumps. Use both gourmet and medicinal plugs for a happy future.

ChillyGator said:
Backwoods Savage said:

That is my experience with ryegrass also, we plant an Oat/Wheat/Clover blend for our foodplots.

ChillyGator, we've had the best results with rye/oat mixed 50/50. For oats, it seems odd, but we've had the best luck with Buck Forage Oats. I've done quite a bit of experimenting with the rye and oats and especially with the oats and the type of oats. It gets interesting when you watch the deer in those food plots.

btw, being on sandy ground I also like to plant buckwheat in the summer. I'll usually wait to plant that in June and then plant the oat/rye mix anytime after August 15 and no later than Labor Day.

I tried to get a 4.5" stump out last night. After 2 hours it was loose but still not out.
I dulled a nice pruning saw in the dirt.

How about a sawzall to cut the roots? I bet the blades are cheaper.

velvetfoot said:
I tried to get a 4.5" stump out last night. After 2 hours it was loose but still not out.
I dulled a nice pruning saw in the dirt.

How about a sawzall to cut the roots? I bet the blades are cheaper.

yes it would be

Status
Not open for further replies.