Suggestions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Butcher

Jul 8, 2014
Surrey
Hi,

I am wondering if I could get a little advice on our fireplace. We moved in a few months ago and the fireplace was pretty much as it is except for new plaster. As you can see from picture we have a large step at the bottom so not sure what to do about this.

I am unsure whether the step is structural or not as it seems to be made from a concrete lintel, so removal might prove tricky. At the top is a flue which I believe will work.

Any advice would be great. I don’t mind a traditional or wood burner as long as it looks good and suits the room.

Cheers, Pat.
IMAG0057.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the dimensions of the fireplace? If it is sufficiently tall and deep you could just fill out that back hole with concrete/bricks, put a nice finish (e. g. slate, stained concrete) on top and then add a stove. At the end it would kid of look like this without the big hearth in front (unless you want to extend that, too):
946-Bohemia-X40-cube-in-opening-cropped.jpg

Check with a local stove shop/chimney sweep about required clearances and building codes as they are probably quite different in the UK. However, since your walls are most likely solid cinder block/bricks I doubt you will have a problem. Have a sweep also check the flue to make sure it is in good condition. Plus, you will need dry wood for any modern stove.

IMAG0064.jpg

Hi thanks for the reply.

Had a quick measure and its HxWxD is 685 x 760 x 360mm

I think the best solution would be to remove the plinth at the bottom as this is 150mm tall.

I have attached a few more pictures do you think it is structural. If not would it be best to angle grind the sides out and smash the remainder out? Any tips would be really appreciated.

cheers.

Last edited:
That is a small opening. I would pick a stove you want to set in there (best to pick one that has ember protection hearth requirements) and cut the opening large enough to accommodate the stove's requirements. I'd also take down the hearth base to floor level as it looks to narrow to support most stoves.

I did some similar work last year and an angle grinder with a masonry blade and a sledge hammer were my main tools of destruction. As far as encouragement and advice....just do it. My experience was that once you start digging into a wall, the construction method will tell you what steps to take.

What is the goal? What are your fuel options? There are small wood or multifuel stoves available for this size fireplace. Look at the Stovax Brunel 1A or 2CB for example.

Thanks all for the info.

I am pretty open to options. I would however like to remove this step but just concerned it might be structural.

Also how much work is involved as I dont really like using angle grinders so close to the side wall in case cutter catches. Do you think i could use a bolster and hammer?

Or should I just leave as is and work around it?

The effect of removing the "step" will depend on the construction. None of us have any idea what is below it. What if it is a wood base? If you do remove it be sure the stove requires ember protection only for the hearth in an alcove and still protect the hearth with at least a sheet of metal.

Personally I would try to work with leaving it alone. But this gets back to the question. What is the goal? Are you looking to heat a single room or area? If so, how large?

Status
Not open for further replies.