1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

sumac vs posion sumac

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by BobTheTomato, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobTheTomato

BobTheTomato Member

I have access to several trees that I have been told are sumac. How do I tell if it is regular sumac or posion sumac?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Stag horn sumac has the red conical berries, we use the trees as ornamentals...very pretty when it snows on them. Poison sumac has white berries and grows West of the Miss river. You can Google it to get a pic.
  3. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western CT
    Poison sumac grows to the east of the Mississippi too. It is a wetland plant and is usually found in and around wetlands, drainage areas and other low lying wet areas.

Staghorn can get big, for a small to medium sized tree - but not sure that wood is worth burning except for in a brush pile.
  4. sullystull

sullystull Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    WV Mountains
  5. tkirk22

tkirk22 New Member

Loc:
    VA Mountains
    UUhhg. We have those things all over the property in VA. What a worthless weed of a tree. They can't be killed by conventional means. They aren't even good to burn except in a bon fire.
  6. Bill

Bill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Western Wisconsin
    There invasive and I mulch them with the brush hog. Cannot imagine burning them, you must be looking at some other kind of tree.
  7. markpee

markpee New Member

Loc:
    Huson Valley New York
    Cut it up making sure you get the juice all over you. If in a day or so you DO NOT develop a rash, it wasn't poison Sumac.

I had a field full of sumac, and had the same worry. After I did not develop a rash, I was confident it was the mild kind. I also googled it to be sure.

Good Luck!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.