summary of first burn season in my new house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktail

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2011
Western WA
I bought my house in August and getting an insert for the fireplace was one of my first priorities.
My parents were nice enough to get me some estimates for a few similar sized inserts from three area retailers when they went to the state fair. The place that's closest to my house happened to have the best prices and I liked that they had their own staff for doing the installation. I looked hard at the Enviro Kodiak 1200 but went with a Lopi Republic 1250. The Lopi was a little cheaper and they're made about 45 minutes from here. The guys at Anderson Fireplace and Spa in Marysville, WA were great to deal with from purchase, to installation, to getting accessories later.
I picked up a blower for my insert the day before Thanksgiving and it makes a HUGE difference. To demonstrate how little my electric heat got used, my biggest electric bill was $100 for two months. I kept the thermostat at a low setting and every now and then the heat would be running when I got home from work at night.
With the new house and stove I also needed a new saw so I picked up a new MS290. No complaints there.
My wood supply started at zero, then went up and down through the season, and it's not stacked in one single location on my property, but I'm guessing I burned about 4 cords.
In the morning I'm starting construction of a wood shed that'll hold about 3.5 cords. That'll give me 5 cords of neatly organized and covered storage, plus room to stack between trees like I've been doing. And I already have the wood to fill the shed.
For cleaning the chimney I bought a Sooteater. Great product! My chimney is as basic as possible so the Sooteater is perfect for it. I cleaned it on January 1st and again last week. The whole process takes about 10 minutes.
Overall I'm happy with my heating situation. My insert isn't in the ideal location in my house but it got the job done. Using a fan to push cold air down the hall helped a lot but I'll pick up a second fan by next season to help out.

Sounds like the plan came together. Fast too. Congrats on the new house, new stove and successful burning season. Now, get with the well dried wood program and bring that down to three or three and a half cords used a year.

The first year with any new stove you cook off more wood than you ever will again.

How was winter in your area compared to "the norm".
Many lower 48 wood burners used allot less wood this past season due to the mild winter.
"The winter that never was"

Having a little extra "ready to burn wood" prepped for each season is a good thing.
Our winter was colder than "the norm" & I burned about 3/4 cord more. Lots more below 0° days than usual.
+ I'm still burning, with the colder than normal Spring.

Getting ahead & having drier wood will make even happier for next season.

We'll need pictures of the woodshed of course :)

I'd say our winter wasn't any colder or warmer than normal, but it was longer and wetter than normal. I only stopped burning a couple of days ago. My wood for next year will be good and dry. It's mostly bigleaf maple, alder, and fir, with some hemlock and birch mixed in.
The wood shed is all framed. The roof should be done tomorrow. Getting the siding done will depend on finding the right source and price for materials. I've heard that a local fencing company sells some cool treated, narrow fence boards that I'd like to get for the sides. I'll have them spaced for air flow. The floor will just be a matter of getting some pallets and cheap concrete blocks.

I ordered 4" boards from the fencing place today. The main roof is done. Tomorrow we'll get the front overhang done. I bought concrete blocks today and scored free pallets so the floor is all but done. I'll post pics in the wood shed forum when it's all done.

Status
Not open for further replies.