summer burning is lame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

argus66

Feeling the Heat
Dec 9, 2007
central coastal nj
why is having fires outside in the back just not as fun as burning in the wood stove??? maybe its the whole heating the house thing and saving tons of cash. who knows i miss burning in the stove every night.

Attachments

• peep roasting.jpg
    peep roasting.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 833
Thats freaking hilarious!

My son is six years old and loves to have campfires, he is all the time wating to have one and when were outside sitting by the fire he keeps asking me when are we going to build a fire in our stove we just recently purchased. I believe the firebug has already bit my son.

It is clinically proven 99.55% boys are firebugs. Channel the impulse, teach em the right way. Sooner or later they are lugging wood around. When he does his work he gets to light the fire. Good times. If he doesnt do the work he doesnt get the fire. I usually make him stack for a half hour, as he is 7. Boy does he want to know about the stove...and he will in time...

I love Peeps. Fresh, stale, frozen... never tried them toasted to perfection, however. My preference is for the the "classic yellow", though. Mmmm.

argus66 said:
why is having fires outside in the back just not as fun as burning in the wood stove??? maybe its the whole heating the house thing and saving tons of cash. who knows i miss burning in the stove every night.

It's not quite the same . . . no secondary burns . . . but there is something very relaxing about watching a fire no matter when it's burning . . . well that is unless the fire is burning down your house in which case it is not all that relaxing to watch the fire. :) ;)

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
It is clinically proven 99.55% boys are firebugs. Channel the impulse, teach em the right way. Sooner or later they are lugging wood around. When he does his work he gets to light the fire. Good times. If he doesnt do the work he doesnt get the fire. I usually make him stack for a half hour, as he is 7. Boy does he want to know about the stove...and he will in time...

And 99.8% of firefighters were firebugs when they were kids . . . the other .2% would have been firebugs but their parents tanned their hides when they caught them with a book of matches and a fistful of fireworks. :) ;)

I like burning outside, built a huge fire pit and have used big machines for slash fires. I had a permit for a fire measuring 50 feet in any direction. That puppy was so hot that the wind blew towards it from all directions. Really eery.

The problem I have with backyard firepits is that I really hate to waste firewood that would have otherwise gone into the stove. Even though I have plenty, it just feels like a waste. The new outdoor pit is quite large to get plenty of folks around it, and yes lots of smores already.

Would a setup like this make you feel better about burning outside?
IMG00198599x798.jpg

oh i don't know.. just light a fire outside and it seems real nice!

Well if it's any consolation to the OP . . . I ended up having a small fire in the stove on Friday night as my wife said it was too cold in the house . . . and admittedly with all the rain and colder temps we have been having this year the temp was down to 62 . . . so even though I had cleaned out the stove a few weeks earlier I figured I might as well keep my wife warm and happy . . . and admittedly it was kind of nice to have a fire going again.

One time while we were out of power, I found that it's easy to toast bread by holding it up (not with your hands) in front of the glass door when the fire is transitioning to coals. It works much faster than an electric toaster too, and I would imagine would be almost instant if I opened the door. I really do need to work on doing some cooking over a low coalbed. Marshmallows on a stick work great, but if I had a grate that could hold stuff off the coals, I could probably cook or bake just about anything.

I take potatoes, poke some holes in them, rub them in butter, wrap in foil, and throw them in the coals in the wood stove when it dies down to coals. Really they are the best baked potatoes! The skin is crispy and the innards steamy. And they don't take an hour and a half like they do in the oven. Probably 20 minutes or so.

This winter I am doing to experiment on the best way to make hard boiled eggs in stove top humidifier.

Our yard fire pit is rippin most Saturday nights in the summer. Something about watching the fire, sippin on a bottle of red. Haven't done a burn yet this year, been very rainy. My fire pit wood pile is downed dead punkey stuff I find in the woods and then sun dry. The problem is I now realize there is no dry wood that can't be burned in the house stove and provide heat. The fire pit wood pile is now getting used in the early and late heating season when I don't need to be burning the all nighter sweet oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.