summer burning????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

argus66

Feeling the Heat
Dec 9, 2007
central coastal nj
anyone on here have to burn in the dead of summer? this has been the hottest summer in history here and i was wondering who has cold nights with summer burning? im done with summer already hopefully hot summer = cold nasty long winter.

argus66 said:
anyone on here have to burn in the dead of summer? this has been the hottest summer in history here and i was wondering who has cold nights with summer burning? im done with summer already hopefully hot summer = cold nasty long winter.

I'm guessing there are places VERY north or south that have to burn/heat their homes pretty much year round.

I know some people that have fireplaces just for decoration (typically gas) that burn them whenever but that's for looks, not heat.

I can also see a few of the die-hards around here not being able to resist the urge to get their stove burning at times no matter how hot it is out...

-Emt1581

Some may burn for hot water. I'm not one of them but I'm considering it for our next house.

I lit a fire pit last weekend. Cooked some marshmellows... The wife accessorized the marhmellows with chocholate and a graham cracker.

Matt

I did the same exact thing last weekend and even set the tent up and did a sleepout with the kids and new puppy!!! smores are the best....

The only time I burn in the summer is when I have changed a liner or stove to test it. When that happens my wife says "Well, it is about to get damned hot in this joint.".

argus66 said:

8 months solid, 2 months shoulder and the odd fire for the other two months. I am pretty sure a year burnin for me is like 2-3 years for some people. :red:

Attachments

• Yukon,Whitehorse daily Averages.jpg
    Yukon,Whitehorse daily Averages.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 627
Well at least your air conditioning bill is low :). How's it been this year? Are you getting the Pacific chill too?

Summer burning?......No, just a BURNING SUMMER

but I did just increase the covered area of my wood shed by 1/3 without experiencing spontanaous combustion....lol

We last burned in June...it was rainy and about 60 when we arrived in VT. I want to have a fire this month...just to say I have. We've burned every month since getting the stove last August.

The lack of rain has made great fire pit weather. We've had one just about every night we're up there this summer.

Summer burning, some are not. Had a fire on father's day and have been tempted to several recent foggy mornings. But by mid-day the sun comes out. You'd think we lived in San Francisco the way this non-summer is turning out.

This is the summer that never happened here in the PNW. Great for brewing beer though since the house never gets above 70 with the windows shut all day. We are eating plenty of peas but the beans are a disaster.

I haven't burned since late June but the wife had the electric blanket on last night.

Stanley, Idaho has had the National low temperatures Monday and Tuesday. It was 29 and 28 those two days. I'd say that might call for a little fire for a few hours.

Highbeam said:
This is the summer that never happened here

That's what we had last year. This year is hot and ugly.

BrowningBAR said:
Highbeam said:
This is the summer that never happened here

That's what we had last year. This year is hot and ugly.

Yup. I'm in the Lehigh Valley. Same here...MISERABLE!!

-Emt1581

BeGreen said:
Well at least your air conditioning bill is low :). How's it been this year? Are you getting the Pacific chill too?

We have been about average I would say. Bugs are below normal except the WASPS. Lots attempting to build under the deck They were quite unhappy when I was pounding down the surfacing nails before I repainted. The little black flies are out early this year. Maybe a sign of an early fall? So far so good. Fishing has been spectacular the few times I have been able to make it out. The painting is getting in the way but its been seven yrs since the last time the outside of the house had this much attention.
Only 3 cords of wood collected this season. 18 cords in the bank though so no worries. I had a great holliday with the family though which has been a long time coming for them. It was colder down south in the lower fraser valley in B.C. than here when we left. Canada day weekend it was only 14c out and we had the water park /slides to ourself. Every body was bundled up like it was winter down there. :lol:

BeGreen said:
Summer burning, some are not.

Ha ha.

I've had no fires in the PE or the Econoburn since I shut down for Spring.
Plenty of camp fires with some balsam fir.
Ready for the shoulder season with some fir, poplar and pine.
Hoping for a really cold winter - I want to see this Econoburn perform! My last boiler couldn't keep us warm below -20C.
And last winter was not cold in the North East.

argus66 said:

Not yet but the nights have been dropping to 60 with some 50's coming up, still not cold enough.

zap

Sometimes we need to burn during the summer here. Today it was 54 F outside, I could have built a fire, but inside the house it was 64 F.

We burn several times a week, small fires in a dedicated stove that heats water, when we want a shower and also do the dishes at the same time. That stove is designed with a water jacket around the firebox, so it does not critically heat up the room it's in.

If we are expecting a cooler-than-normal day, I fire up the cookstove and bake bread. Needless to say, I bake, and we eat, less bread in the summer. No bread is worth heating up the kitchen if it's 97 F. outside.

Last time we had a small fire for warming up the house on a chilly morning was probably early June. We had a couple rainy, chilly afternoons in late June during which we built very small fires in the fireplace just....because.

The hot humid weather has put a little mold on some cabinets I just installed in the basement. I may open some windows down there and light a fire to see if I can drive out some moisture. I just hate the idea of all that heat rising into the house.

Matt

Mold is not good. What you see may reflect more growing where you can't see it. It might be worth getting some more air circulation down there with a window fan. If the problem is chronic, I'd invest in a decent dehumidfier. That's the only way we kept mold down in the greenhouse last winter.

Sometimes opening windows in a basement can drive up humidity levels. Our basement was always wet. We recently purchased a large 70 pint dehumidifier for our basement. When I plugged it in, the humidity levels were up to 100%. Its now set at 70 and its a night and day difference. In the wintertime having the woodfurnace in the basement, humidity doesn't exist. Within 1 day of burning all moisture is gone just from the radiant heat of the unit.

We got up to VT a little after 6PM on Friday...Mid 60's and raining. Not really that cold...but the house was cool and damp due to us leaving some windows open. I lit a small fire to take the chill/dampness out of the air.

Once I have an August fire, that'll be at least one burn a month for an entire year. Wooo!

Pic or it didn't happen.

Attachments

• IMG00026-20100723-1841.jpg
    IMG00026-20100723-1841.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 126
I just had a fire last night with a fan blowing in the cool night air to keep from overheating. New (to me) stove and installation that I wanted to play with.. uh.> I mean test!. I've had a few fires the last week. My neighbors must think I'm nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.