Summer cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2014
Southern NJ
Not sure if this is a lot . But this October-Aprils worth.
image.jpg

Not too bad depending on height of chimney. Your firebox looks like you could burn a little hotter or you need to check your wood moisture content. Your bricks should have a nice whitish/gray look too them, similar to what your tubes look like, when the load is almost burned up. The brown resembles a less than optimum burn (choked down) The black near the back is common though. Turn the fire up a tad and you will find less creosote next year.

The brown stuff is what you're looking for. That doesn't look like too much at all. If I were in your shoes I would be pleased with that!

As far as I am concerned the amount of soot also depends on if your let your fire go out daily. The stack temps always start from cold, encouraging the formation of soot/creosote on the stack walls.

ANdrew

Thanks for the replies. My chimney is 18 feet. Last year was an experience being a rookie. As the year went on it got easier. My temps got better as did my knowledge.

That's the normal learning curve for a stove. I went from absolutely 0 knowledge to 1% knowledge over 5 years. LOL.

That looks perfectly acceptable for 18 feet during an entire burning season!! I know people that sweep their chimneys once a month and get what you have!

Andrew

I had no visible smoke all winter. My temps were 450-600

Status
Not open for further replies.