Summer Heat 50-SHSSW01? - Life at 9200' ASL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BamaRama

Apr 18, 2015
Colorado
Hello again all,

Got my mountain home (1100 sqft) finished just in time for winter. During the build, we installed 12' of double wall class A through the roof with the inlet to the thimble at 17' off the floor in a vaulted ceiling. It's a really tight house with a loft. Got pics if you want to see it.

I've been trying to decide if I need to buy the Summers Heat 50-SHSSW01 . I'm concerned that the altitude and lack of hardwood will cause problems with this stove. All we have here is pine, fir, and aspen. Not sure any setup will be optimum here, but we're only gonna supplement the force air system during the big freeze and do the best we can.

Do you reckon this stove will work for me?

TIA
David

How is that stack drafting without any stove attached? Does it suck out a flame held next to it? If yes, it should be ok. If still in doubt consider a True North TN20 or PE Super. They are less fussy about draft, but still have a 2 cu ft square firebox.

I haven't checked the draft with a flame. I know it's pulling pretty hard because I cracked the cover plate the other day and could hear it sucking.

It may be fine then.

I just installed this stove this summer, burned the break in fires and now using some shoulder wood with great success. In my previous residence had the NC30 so I really liked the Englander Brand. What I've learned is that these stoves breathe better with a N/S loading vs E/W. I've been burning Yellow Poplar recently and even obtained a 9 hour burn cycle with this. I had to close the stove down more than I like but for a 2.5cf fire box I feel they are a pretty good budget stove. I do have the 15 ft. of stack height required though and have had no issues with draft at east coast(WV) altitude.