Summer Heat is on!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Anyone getting dizzy or filling sick while cutting...How do you stay hydrated?

Drink lots of water. Drink before you're thirsty. Salt tablets can help but don't take too many. If you ever stop sweating, take that as a serious warning and get out of the heat. It only happened once in my life but I recognized the warning signs right away.

smokinjay said:

Like Getfa said drink plenty of water before,during and after. I drink on average 10-15 glasses per day during the summer.

zap

Try drinking a few glasses before you go out to cut also. Mixing water with Gatorade 50/50 is best. All Gatorade when getting dehydrated overloads you with high concentrations of minerals and vitamins thats not good either. Monitor how much your taking in and putting out (pee). Dizzy and nausea are the first signs, listen to them. Don't feel like a wuss take breaks often. Stopping the sweating process is a late sign of heat exhaustion and you really NEED to STOP NOW and find some shade and start cooling your body, cold packs, water soaked rags or shirt in your armpits, neck and groin. With these really high temps if you plan on cutting for a long time try to take a buddy so you can watch each other. IF your heart is pounding and your dizzy you may need to take a break for longer than 20min.

ckarotka said:
Try drinking a few glasses before you go out to cut also. Mixing water with Gatorade 50/50 is best. All Gatorade when getting dehydrated overloads you with high concentrations of minerals and vitamins thats not good either. Monitor how much your taking in and putting out (pee). Dizzy and nausea are the first signs, listen to them. Don't feel like a wuss take breaks often. Stopping the sweating process is a late sign of heat exhaustion and you really NEED to STOP NOW and find some shade and start cooling your body, cold packs, water soaked rags or shirt in your armpits, neck and groin. With these really high temps if you plan on cutting for a long time try to take a buddy so you can watch each other. IF your heart is pounding and your dizzy you may need to take a break for longer than 20min.

Thats what I have been doing but will drink one then the other till I want to puck. I drop 14 pounds in 4 days on a kayak trip and just getting the fluids back up to normal seems to be much tougher this time for some reason.

You might not like this suggestion, but try wearing long sleeve shirts and pants. Make sure that the shirt and pants are lose. Also invest in a camelpak. You can get one at Wal-mart or Dicks. Fill it full of ice then add water. This will keep you and the water cool as you wear it on your back. Heat is nothing to play around with. I have seen my share of heat from down south heat to middle east heat that was 130 in the shade with white sand. It would literally take your breath away and burn your cornea of your eyes without eye protection. Just be careful and mindful.

smokinjay said:

Not had that dizzy feeling or feeling sick while cutting. No problem with hydration either. But then, I do all the cutting during the cold months. I don't even have to swat sketters or other type of bugs. I can even remove my coat now and then.

smokinjay said:

SMOKIN STOP BOGARTING THAT JAY, thats making you dizzy! :coolgrin:

smokin 101

If I gotta work, I'm drinking until I hear sloshing (not in the jug).
It's too hot for my liking.
I work from September to early June, if I can.

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

SMOKIN STOP BOGARTING THAT JAY, thats making you dizzy! :coolgrin:

smokin 101

lol or lack of! Way to hot to put a real day in.

I'm a big soda drinker . . . but when I'm really thirsty or really working I stick with good, ol' H20 . . . take frequent breaks . . . and if I'm home I'll frequently cool off with a dip in the pool.

Backwoods Savage said:
smokinjay said:

Not had that dizzy feeling or feeling sick while cutting. No problem with hydration either. But then, I do all the cutting during the cold months. I don't even have to swat sketters or other type of bugs. I can even remove my coat now and then.

Listen up Brothers!
Dennis has shown us the way............ :)

Less water in the tree in the Winter as well!

Hope all is well.

Hey Hiram, I hope all is well with you and you are taking the heat okay.

As for me, I'll be taking things easy for a while. Being behind a steering wheel for almost 6 weeks means I lost some physical conditioning. I found that out for sure yesterday when I had to cut my bike ride short. Usually at this time of the year I like to do some longer rides but yesterday I could only do a little over 20 miles. Had to stop a couple times to rest in the shade too but that just brought out the sweat big time so got back on and pedaled slow. Made it home okay and turned on the air conditioner. It is still on too.

Status
Not open for further replies.