Summer is here, how about the can

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dune

Minister of Fire
Seriously no one is even burning anymore.
How about a little fun for the oldtimers.

Reactions: Doug MacIVER
Really?
I don't even get a reply?

Remember Sundays, back in the day? The righties would go extra nuts in the can, me and Craig would laugh our butts off.
Brother Bart and Fossil would point our their stupidity, Begreen would post wise sentiments and Jags was a moderating force without even being a moderator.

I think the can is a part of history, Dune. It has been discussed behind the scenes and there was more nays than yays. Ultimately its the bosses call. @webfish is the guy you would have to convince.

What I am still waiting for are some links to those "gazillion" other forums to discuss politics etc. I have not found any so far that have such a wide variety of opinions/political leanings, stay mostly civil, draw a crowd from all over the US and beyond and lend themselves to discuss pretty much everything. Anyone know of some?

What I am still waiting for are some links to those "gazillion" other forums to discuss politics etc. I have not found any so far that have such a wide variety of opinions/political leanings, stay mostly civil, draw a crowd from all over the US and beyond and lend themselves to discuss pretty much everything. Anyone know of some?

There is a local motorcycle forum to Cincinnati called assfaultjunkies.com. I got rid of my sport bike though so I haven't been on there in about a year so the climate could have changed. We used to have a lot of religious and political talks, with VERY different opinions. But because most of us meet up every Sunday to ride, it stayed pretty civil. I do think people for the most part stay pretty decent on here. I hate that a lot of the more interesting threads in the Inglenook get locked pretty fast, personally I'd rather see offenders get banned/warned, and let the rest of us discuss things other than firewood every now and then.

What is the big deal?

I can't speak for others as I was one of the guys that thought the can would open back up. That said - it was near consensus that the can was a distraction from what the site was built for (a wiki of sorts for heating with wood and gas). There was a bit of moderation madness involved too. It was a fine line to walk to keep it civil at times. And there are always that handful that should never have peaked in there to begin with. They just "can't handle" it.

Reactions: Dune
I can't speak for others as I was one of the guys that thought the can would open back up. That said - it was near consensus that the can was a distraction from what the site was built for (a wiki of sorts for heating with wood and gas). There was a bit of moderation madness involved too. It was a fine line to walk to keep it civil at times. And there are always that handful that should never have peaked in there to begin with. They just "can't handle" it.

Damn. Now I have to get a life or something.

We had some awful good times, Jags and I guess I will always have my memories.

Reactions: Jags
I hate that a lot of the more interesting threads in the Inglenook get locked pretty fast, personally I'd rather see offenders get banned/warned, and let the rest of us discuss things other than firewood every now and then.

Latest being the one about MC owners. One person without a bike hijacked it and went on rant about bikes and bikers and it killed the thread. Made no sense.

Reactions: pma1123 and bassJAM

It's very difficult to find political discourse on the internet that is simultaneously intelligent and civil. I think civility in political discourse is somewhat overrated though. People will ask me "well how could you possibly say a thing like that?" Here's how I see it. There is nothing that I care more about in life than my children; their welfare, safety and happiness. Nearly everything that the left, (I'm talking the far left, not your reasonable moderate liberals which are fairly rare these days) stands for today is a direct threat to the safety and happiness of my children's future. Why would I want to be civil with this lot when I view them as a dire threat to what I care most about in life?

"Progressivism" as it's been rebranded is nothing but stale tyrannical leftist collectivism. It's a vile cancer upon humanity.

It must be mentioned that many who claim to be conservatives are not classical conservatives but rather a motley assortment approaching the futility of progressives, ie. souless corporate shills, war mongering flag waving neocons, intolerant religious fundamentalists, etc etc

The mainstream political movement that most closely represents my beliefs is libertarianism.

Unlike Dune, online political discussion is not even close to the best part of my life but it can sometimes be a nice way to get through those very slow days at the office.

Reactions: Ashful
Why would I want to be civil with this lot when I view them as a dire threat to what I care most about in life?

And just why - on a forum about home heating would the mods allow anybody to not be civil. One view vs another view is no reason to not be civil. This is exactly the reason the can got shut down. Personal attacks simply won't be tolerated.

[quote="bassJAM, post: 1733324, . I hate that a lot of the more interesting threads in the Inglenook get locked pretty fast, personally I'd rather see offenders get banned/warned, and let the rest of us discuss things other than firewood every now and then.[/quote]

Well said. I don't think I've encountered anyone on this site who was not able to let it go and immediately switch gears to go to another thread and post on the topics that this website was created for. It would be nice to have the ash can as a place for those other topics to be discussed and have the moderators single out those who routinely step over the line rather than shutting down the entire thread.

And just why - on a forum about home heating would the mods allow anybody to not be civil. One view vs another view is no reason to not be civil. This is exactly the reason the can got shut down. Personal attacks simply won't be tolerated.

I don't actually think any of my past posts were uncivil and I know I did not make any personal attacks. As a general rule I do my best to be civil until I'm treated uncivilly which, when I'm engaged in a discussion with a lefty usually takes about ten seconds.

Why would I want to be civil with this lot when I view them as a dire threat to what I care most about in life?

"Progressivism" as it's been rebranded is nothing but stale tyrannical leftist collectivism. It's a vile cancer upon humanity.

progressives, ie. souless corporate shills, war mongering flag waving neocons, intolerant religious fundamentalists,

gy7eve8a.jpg

Personally, I don't see the need for a forum to post on when I'm sure I'm the only one who has any interest in anything I have to say about anything.

Reactions: Ashful
until I'm treated uncivilly which, when I'm engaged in a discussion with a lefty usually takes about ten seconds.
Kind of says it right there. Open to discussion as long as it supports my POV.
The US has become more polarized, racist, religious, extreme and gullible. It's hard to have a reasonable conversation when rationality, respect common sense and decorum are not part of the ground rules. Personally I have no desire to have a discussion that doesn't stay within the forum rules.

Here are some more political discussion boards for those that need them:
http://www.usmessageboard.com/
http://www.politicalforum.com/
http://www.politicsforum.org/

Last edited:
This is looking too much like The Can already.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.