Summer prep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stallau

May 17, 2009
Southern ME
It may be warm but this is Maine and I know I'll still be using the stove after this week. My question is on what to do after the final cleaning. What should I use to stop getting rust on the burn pot and and interior parts of the firebox area. I figure a oil is best but also not looking to create a fireball come the fall. Stove is in the basement so while the heat drys it during the winter it is a little damp during the summer.

So what's best PAM, WD40 (probably the fireball I was thinking of) other stuff??

Thanks

Pam cooking spray is what I use. Also add a moisture absorber, such as Damp Rid inside the hopper and firebox. Plug the exhaust and the OAK (if you have one) and place a small note inside the hopper. So when you go to fill the hopper in the Fall, you are reminded to un-plug the vent and OAK, remove moisture absorber, and plug stove into walll socket (along with any other items that may need done prior to 1st Fire).

I painted my Firebox last season. Hooked up the leafblower and all the paint and fumes were sucked out of the stove. Took 5 minutes to tape up the outside perimeter of firebox, 5 minutes to hook up leafblower, and 5 minutes to paint. With clean up it took 20 minutes and looked great. Put a light coat of Pam on and set the logs in place.

Gonna use the new search and try and find my Spring Cleaning Thread...

Edit: Here it is.. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/spring-cleaning.68422/

Pam cooking spray is what I use. Also add a moisture absorber, such as Damp Rid inside the hopper and firebox. Plug the exhaust and the OAK (if you have one) and place a small note inside the hopper. So when you go to fill the hopper in the Fall, you are reminded to un-plug the vent and OAK, remove moisture absorber, and plug stove into walll socket (along with any other items that may need done prior to 1st Fire).

I painted my Firebox last season. Hooked up the leafblower and all the paint and fumes were sucked out of the stove. Took 5 minutes to tape up the outside perimeter of firebox, 5 minutes to hook up leafblower, and 5 minutes to paint. With clean up it took 20 minutes and looked great. Put a light coat of Pam on and set the logs in place.

Gonna use the new search and try and find my Spring Cleaning Thread...

Edit: Here it is.. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/spring-cleaning.68422/

all good, but I prefer Marvel Mystery Oil or WD-40........Ive seen Pam leave residue on surfaces, there WD and marvel seem to cook off early in the first burn.......my 2cents

WD-40 will evaporate away before the summer is over.

I don't do anything special, just clean it. The original owner of the stove did the same, no rust anywhere!

Dave

This year i'm making sure my exhaust is covered ... i usually do the pam spray thing, and I'm going to get damp rid.

I also put 2 balls of kitty litter in stockings, on a paper plate in my stove. One in the ash pan and one in the hopper. They almost double in weight after the summer from the amount of water they soak up

I just clean mine, and then use a little pam spray inside the firebox and the fire pot. No problem with rust so far in 4 years. The cooking oil will saturate the steel over the summer months and in the fall it's almost gone, one burn and it smokes away.

I just clean mine, and then use a little pam spray inside the firebox and the fire pot. No problem with rust so far in 4 years. The cooking oil will saturate the steel over the summer months and in the fall it's almost gone, one burn and it smokes away.

Yep... Lasts longer than WD... IMHO

The ones I use are little containers that have a silver liner that peels off the top (as you described). About 5" tall x 8" wide x 4"-5" deep (about) I can snap a pic when I get home. Some are blue containers (standard) and the other one is black (carbon added for smell). I put blue in hopper and black in ash pan (hidden pretty well).

If I recall correctly, Damp Rid is just Calcium Chloride AKA ice melt. I placed an open 5 gallon bucket inside my pellet shed to absorb any moisture in there. The top layer is getting solid from moisture collection already.

Bill

I use the disposal canisters of Damp Rid in my Stoves. But they have several different types. They have disposable bags that you can hang in your basement (I have several of these in my Pellet Crib, photo posted is not where I keep it, they are hung from rafters), they also have refillable versions.

I have several of each. I mainly use the bags and refill models. The disposable models are only bought for the stove. I actually thought about hanging a bag in the Fahrenheit because its firebox is large enough to allow it.

Anyways. Pics as promised (I did forgot until Bill posted above earlier this morning) ;)

Attachments

• 2012-03-25_14-36-13_505.jpg
    2012-03-25_14-36-13_505.jpg
    597 KB · Views: 149
  • 2012-03-25_14-41-14_122.jpg
    2012-03-25_14-41-14_122.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 106
Status
Not open for further replies.