Summer project questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlasko

Sep 24, 2008
Western PA
Well school is finally out (I'm a teacher) and I'm eager to get started on building a nice stone hearth for my stove. I have a few questions before I get started though. My main question is what kind of stone? I know that much of that is all what you like but what I'm worried about are cracks. I've put some big stones around outside fire pits before and been amazed at how a large heavy stone seems to crumble after a summer of campires. I obviously don't want that. Are there specific stones that are better than others and conversely stones that absolutely shouldn't be used? My thinking is to go with heavy stones that will retain the heat after the stove winds down in the early morning hours.

By no means is this the only option, but I do believe that most stones used in todays hearth structures are cultured stone (or commonly referred to as "Stone Veneer"), such as Coronado, and Pro Line Stone Veneer. Easy stuff to work with and pretty darn tough.

I used slate for my stove hearth since a) I had several free boxes of slate given to me several years back, b) slate is a traditional look found in many Maine homes since it was locally cut, c) I like the look of slate and d) my stove doesn't radiate a whole lot of heat downward so I wasn't worried about the heat cracking any of the stone (although I believe slate is pretty heat resistant vs. some other stones.)

Do your research and find out what is needed under the stone so you don't transmit heat into the floor

Status
Not open for further replies.