Summer Project Winding Down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleJoe

Burning Hunk
Oct 29, 2013
South-Central Pa
I did a storm clean up job for a lady last year and instead of paying me in Federal Reserve Notes I traded her my 3 hours of time for a 1944 Ford 9N tractor. It hadn't been run for about 2 years. This is what it looked like when I trailered it home.

P1010418.JPG
P1010419.JPG
P1010425.JPG

And here it is today after putting it back together.

P1010547.JPG
P1010549.JPG
P1010548.JPG

I need to paint the front wheels yet and the back ones need replaced. They're rusted beyond any hope of being usable.

I have about $200 in parts, $80 in paint and around 40 hours of my time. The rear wheels will be $110 each.

It wasn't meant to be a restoration project. I left all the little dings, a few small dents and I added a couple of runs in the paint. I just wanted to pretty it up a bit. Overall I'm pretty happy with how it came out. But more important, I won't have the Mrs. giving me a hard time about the old rusty lawn ornament. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ashful
Nice deal. That loader was rated for about 400lbs, mostly for moving manure. Still, very handy for the yard.

Thanks. This is my first tractor other than the lawn tractors. I wasn't sure what the capacity was but I do know it isn't designed for super heavy lifting. I'm hoping it will lift a round bail but I won't push it if it struggles.

Welcome to the ATV of the era. Those little xN tractors were a chore horse. They didn't have enough power to hurt themselves, but usually started and would do what you asked (within reason).

Well, I planted a lot of corn and beans with one of those along with the chores of things like manure and cultivating and moving wagons, etc. Used to be lots of them around.

You enjoyed every minute of those 40 hrs, didnt you?

For the most part, yeah. :) There were a number of frustrating moments. Mostly rusty nuts and bolts that needed cut off.

Well, I planted a lot of corn and beans with one of those along with the chores of things like manure and cultivating and moving wagons, etc. Used to be lots of them around.

There's still a lot of them around here too. Our local farm store had almost everything I needed in the way of parts. The only thing they had to order was the thermostat.

No, but it did turn over. That's why I decided to take a chance on it.

I rebuilt the carb and replaced the plugs, distributor cap, rotor and condenser. The reason it wouldn't start I discovered, was the rotor. The little metal tab had broke off so it wasn't getting any spark to the plugs. Pretty simple machine to work on. Just right for a simple mind. :)

Reactions: Rastallama
Status
Not open for further replies.