summer project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlasko

Sep 24, 2008
Western PA
With spring/summer fast approaching, I'm already planning the construction of my new hearth and surround. My question is cultured stone or real stone? I'm pretty clueless on what cultured stone really is. Are there additional safety requirements using this cultured stone? Will real stone "hold" heat better and longer? Just curious as I begin the preplanning.

I finished up our hearth and surround rebuild in late Oct. (right before it started to get cold here in Ohio) and I used cultured stone. It is basically dyed concrete which is poured into forms. It is relatively easy to install if you have ever done any mortar work before. The key is to have the mortar consistency right which will save you a lot of trouble. it was a lot of work because I built a raised hearth and ran stone up the entire wall. I will try and get some pics up that I took during the build.

As for how well it holds heat I couldn't really give an answer. The wall definitely holds heat but I have no real stone to compare the two.

Forget the real stone unless you have a footing there for it to rest on.

Cultured stone is usually thought of as stone dust and epoxy (or similar plastic product). There is artificial stone that is a concrete based product.

Status
Not open for further replies.