Summer stove care?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayakkeith

Sep 20, 2010
West Virginia
So is it better to leave the door of a stove open slightly in the summer so the humidity does not build up inside? Or should you have everything closed up tight

Don't know the answer but mine stay closed. I don't have a big urge for downdrafts to smell up my house. That soapstone ain't gonna rust anyway.

What would make the humidity "build up" inside the stove? I don't see any reason at all to leave the door open during the off-season. If you're really worried about it, go up and bag the chimney cap and put an opened box of baking soda in the firebox...or go get some desiccant bags/packs...they're really easily available. Personally, I don't bother with any of it, but then I also live in a very dry climate. Rick

My stove is 19 years old, and the previous owners never did anything with it (including clean it) for the summer. It still looks damn near new inside.

I just shoveled and vacuumed mine out at the end of the season, and closed the doors.

After cleaning it up with a final vacuum . . . I pretty much just leave the stove as it sits . . . I do put a candle inside . . . a few days each summer when things are just right (or just wrong) I may get a bit of a smell of creosote and then I light the candle,reverse the air flow and dream of cooler days ahead.

In over 50 years, we have never left the firebox door open. I see no need.

mine is in an office, so in the summer she's lightly used to burn papers that would otherwise need to be shredded. however, she does get a touch-up paint job where the enamel has been chipped off or where i see a little rust form. can't do that when she's burning for 7 months straight.

If I were to keep mine open, I'd get a creosote odor on occasion. Door is closed, draft is closed, key damper gets closed. If I forget to close the key damper (which I usually do since I almost never use it other than in the summer) I'll get the odor. Even though that key damper doesn't seal perfectly, it must do just enough to keep a down draft from working back into the room.

For me, the biggest thing in the summer is to get the chimney swept, stove cleaned, and everything inspected. That way, if I find a problem, I have lots of time to address it before the burning season.

pen

If I were to keep mine open, I'd get a creosote odor on occasion. Door is closed, draft is closed, key damper gets closed. If I forget to close the key damper (which I usually do since I almost never use it other than in the summer) I'll get the odor. Even though that key damper doesn't seal perfectly, it must do just enough to keep a down draft from working back into the room.

For me, the biggest thing in the summer is to get the chimney swept, stove cleaned, and everything inspected. That way, if I find a problem, I have lots of time to address it before the burning season.

pen

haven't swept the chimney after 2 seasons. might be a good time to do so

Reactions: firecracker_77
you know better than me for sure! time to do some maintenance before there's a fire. :oops:

If if you've been visually checking it to make sure there isn't much accumulation, it's still a good idea to run the brush through and inspect things with a really bright light.

I like using something like this http://www.amazon.com/Cyclops-CYC-9WS--Sirius-Rechargeable-Spotlight/dp/B001DRLIOQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1342262628&sr=8-3&keywords=spot light

The one I have isn't being sold anymore

I was told to leave draft open to keep an exchange of air in there.Doesn't mean it's right but moving air does sound good.

I was told to leave draft open to keep an exchange of air in there.Doesn't mean it's right but moving air does sound good.
If your system is not clean and you develop negative pressure you can get a smell (creosote) pulled inside your house. I keep mine shut:cool: Just my .02.

Reactions: DexterDay
Hey even 2 cents worth can come in handy.;)

If your system is not clean and you develop negative pressure you can get a smell (creosote) pulled inside your house. I keep mine shut:cool: Just my .02.

Also, keep in mind, uless your stove is something completely irreplaceable, we're (hopefully) not talking about the biggest investment in your home. I'll take my chances on a little superficial rust inside the stove, if it means keeping the wife happy. Few wives appreciate the smell of a backdrafting chimney in July. Chances are, you'll want to replace your stove for other reasons, long before any potential summer humidity-driven issues catch up with you.

I do a fairly thorough cleaning, usually in May. However, we have cooler days sprinkled liberally throughout summer (or poor dog-sledding weather), so sometimes we burn the odd bunch of papers, especially during ragweed season, lots of kleenex.

However, this year appears to be somewhat of an anomaly and I still have papers in the stove from early June, not leaving much room for the influx of wet kleenexes that are soon to start. I did however get to use my air-conditioner this summer though.

Not if you have the proper outside air hookup installed.

We clean and vacuum the inside after the annual sweep and close her up tight. Oh, and I do go through and smear furnace cement in those places that I remember there being an air leak.

Reactions: Defiant
I call the cleansweep and clean the glass and I keep it open so the gasket won't get crease it.

I have buring only two years but the smoke is gone after the sweep is done it does not smell.

I will eventually get around to cleaning the stove, maybe in early Sept.. No smells at all and it make a dandy pistachio nut shell collector in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.