Summer stove work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwloco

Jan 17, 2008
Asheville NC
The cicadas are doing their 17 year "I'm screaming for you baby..." love call nearly 24/7. Turned on the AC in the house for the first time last night; primarily to drown out the drown of the love sick bugs.

Me? I started doing Preventative Maintenance (PM) on my two vintage Vermont Castings stoves, the Resolute II in the house, the Intrepid in the garage. Top seals for both, a good cleaning a vacuum. We're ready for fall. All to do yet is pipe the Intrepid in safely and keep grabbing hardwood as I can this summer.

Come winter, we'll be ready. I've got a few months yet to set things right. Happily.

Sounds like your all set for the summer. I don't want to rush our summer as it hasn't began yet. :)

Happily, spring was pretty mild here as compared to last year. It was dry, hot and spring just morphed into a hotter summer last year.

This year, a cool, wet spring. Only one or two days over 80F. Having spent 12 years working in Antarctica and 2 living in Vermont, my internal thermometer is happier at temps lower than 70F with no humidity. Higher, I get cranky.

Built a 5 ton capacity coal bin. I had my coal delivered a couple weeks ago. Replaced chimney pipe. Installed a barometric damper, and monometer (draft meter). Cleaned the stove inside. Cleaned the chimney. Painted the stove pipe to chimney pipe adaptor and the pipe heat shield. The house is already for another heating season.

I have to install the Jotul I took out of the house into the garage. I cut enough wood last year for at least one year of garage heating. I retire in November, and plan to do a lot of work in the garage next winter.

I like to get ready for the next heating season as soon as I stop heating each spring. Otherwise I will be scrambling to get everything done in a hurry when it gets cold, or just let the non-necessities go for another year. :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.