Summerized the Tarm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimdeq

Apr 23, 2010
northeastern wisconsin
I summerized my Solo 60 for the first time today. I cleaned and vacuumed all the ash out,brushed the tubes and did a spray coat of cooking oil to the entire fire box and the top surface of the tubes. I did not spray down in the tubes. What else do gasification boiler owners do to summerize.

I'm ready to summerize mine too, hopefully this weekend, something I have done each year. In addition to the cleaning you mention, I scrape the firebox to remove all fairly loose creosote scale, I have not sprayed the firebox, etc., but I do plug the flue collar and the draft fan inlet port to eliminate any air inlet into the boiler, the purpose being to eliminate any moisture source which could be a source of corrosion. I also brush the chimney as part of the cleaning so that everything is ready to go in Fall.

Probably not moisture "in the ashes," but moisture in the air (humidity) that circulates into the Tarm. That's a reason to plug up all air inlet points.

I completed my summerization and cleaned the chimney. Nothing remarkable about cleaning the Tarm. After 4 full seasons the bottom gasification refractory is in good condition, and the nozzle in the firebox shows some wear but is still good also. Should be fine for this coming winter.

The chimney, consisting of 9' of black stove pipe to the ceiling and then 12' of class A, was almost unbelievably clean after a full season of pine and aspen burning. I wondered even if I should bother to clean it, but I did anyway.

After cleaning the tubes and both chambers I plug in a 20 watt bulb in my lower chamber for the summer. I think it helps to keep everything drier .

Status
Not open for further replies.