Summerizing my Jotul Castine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2011
central Texas
Sometime in April I will clean the chimney on my stove. Also, what other off season maintenance things do I need to take care of? What about rope seals at the glass and along the secondaries baffles? Do they automatically get replaced every year, or what is the criteria to know to replace them--or not? Jotul Castine 400

If this is a new Castine, then seasonal maintenance should be just cleaning and inspection. Most gaskets will not need replacing for 3-5 years.

G6 at Snook said:
Sometime in April I will clean the chimney on my stove. Also, what other off season maintenance things do I need to take care of? What about rope seals at the glass and along the secondaries baffles? Do they automatically get replaced every year, or what is the criteria to know to replace them--or not? Jotul Castine 400

I would check the small enclosure at the front bottom of the firebox, where, inside, the primary air lever connects to a metal plate with a hole in it to adjust air flow. Just this past weekend the lever worked loose from the plate, and I wasn't able to adjust air. It's the second time this happened in the past several years.

I had just started the stove the night before, after a warm week, and didn't want to let the stove cool completely down and restart. I waited until there were just embers left, pushed them back, removed the two bolts from the enclosure and re-attached the plate to the lever. Not easy to do with fireproof gloves on :)

What I noticed, though, was that the two bolts were quite loose already (and hence allowed too much play in the lever, the lid has a retention bolt to keep the lever/plate from moving vertically)... and I'm wondering if that loosening happens over time with thermal changes in the stove....

Status
Not open for further replies.