Summers Heat 50-SNC13I

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigCountryNY

Burning Hunk
Sep 16, 2014
Putnam Valley, NY
Looking forward to installing this guy this weekend and only using oil to heat my water from here on out! Out with the masonry fireplace and in with an efficient insert. Re-lining my chimney in the process. But I know without a doubt that all the work will be worth it!

WP_20140919_20_06_12_Pro.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dieselhead
Patting my foot patiently waiting for pics of that puppy with FIRE in it.

Well BrotherBart, you can stop tapping your foot now. Finished the install yesterday, but it was just too warm last night to fire her up. Low of 42 tonight, so tonight it is! I've burned and processed wood since I was a teenager, so I was a little curious as to how a new EPA stove would respond. Started up like she was born to burn!

Chose to go the self-install route, and glad I did. It wasn't without a headache or two, but was well worth it to me. When my house was built, they installed a hefty damper - 1/2" cast iron... The damper door was easy to remove, but had to modify the rest to fit the flex liner with insulation. Major PIA. The way the chimney is built, I had to set the stove further back in the fireplace and thus why I don't have the surround on. Personally, I don't mind the look - but it will ultimately be up to the lady of the house. Thus I might have to install an offset adapter to bring the stove further forward. Nonetheless, I am really stoked about this stove!!!

WP_20140922_19_07_42_Pro.jpg WP_20140922_19_51_41_Pro.jpg WP_20140922_19_57_49_Pro.jpg

Excellent. I see a warm home in your future. Yeah a 15 or 30 degree fixed stainless elbow will move it out enough for the surround installation.

This is mine.

elbow.jpg

Reactions: BigCountryNY
BTW: Get that butane lighter away from that hot stove. I forget and do that sometimes.

BTW: Get that butane lighter away from that hot stove. I forget and do that sometimes.

No kidding, right?! I removed it shortly after the pics were taken - but was so enthralled with the new stove that I forgot about it for a moment.

I don't know which is gonna happen first. One of those things I forget by the stove exploding or forgetting one of my Bics in my pocket and it going off in the clothes dryer.

Clothes dryers don't get hot enough to make a Bic explode, or at least the several that I've put Bics through haven't. I bet I've made that mistake 10 or 12 times with no ill effect.

It's supposed to get down to 36F here tonight and was about 42F this morning, so I fired up the stove when I woke up. Here she is cruising at 550F and warming up the entire house.

Ah yes, FB permissions... I changed the video to "Public". The question now is, did it work? LOL

Yep.

Fellas, just installed by unit. Did the "direct connect" approx 30" above the where the flu was. Sufficient, in your opinion? Also, just filled the gaps with fiberglass insulation, as suggested at the local Insert dealer. Thanks for the advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmm.... not a route I would have taken personally. How tall is your chimney and what are the dimensions (i.e. 13x13, 8x8)? I think the best route is to install an insulated liner in chimney for efficiency and to prevent downdrafts from forcing smoke into the house.

Hmmmm.... not a route I would have taken personally. How tall is your chimney and what are the dimensions (i.e. 13x13, 8x8)? I think the best route is to install an insulated liner in chimney for efficiency and to prevent downdrafts from forcing smoke into the house.

Agreed. Plus, a full steel liner will be way easier to clean in the future and also be less prone to accumulate creosote thereby reducing the risk of a chimney fire.

Does your chimney have a clay liner? Any reason you opted to not install a stainless steel liner? You would have a hard time getting a wrapped 6" liner down an 8x8 chimney, so if you did install a stainless steel liner you'd likely have to go with the pour-in type of insulation.

30" above the flue will definitely help, but as Grisu pointed out already - it will be a pain to clean the chimney as you'll have to pull the stove out to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.