Summers Heat 55-SHP10 install ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete97

Aug 29, 2006
Pittsburgh Pa
I am installing a Summers Heat Pellet stove in my basement. Question is, it is a below grade basement and the pipe will be installed vertically inside then out through the rim joist and terminate horizontally. Any suggestions on how to seal the horizontal pipe that goes thru rim joist? I cant use the wall thimble because it is too big. Pete

You have a little problem that vent must go through a thimble of some kind as it can 't be in contact with any combustible materials.

I haven't a clue on what you should use. You might want to talk to England Stove Works technical support folks.

Also please add the stove make and model to the thread title and if Mike Holton sees it he might comment. He heads up the tech group at England and is a member here.

The air space aroung the pipe when you put it through a thimble is around 3". Something will have to be done to allow for air space around the pipe. Good Luck, working out the details when installing can be a challenge.

pete I have a similar setup but went through the 2nd course of block from the top because I ran into the same issue as you. I'm guessing the block or concrete basement wall doesn't protrude far enough above ground to go through that?

Do you have any block thats above grade. If so, you could you go through the block and use vertical pipe? You would only need a foot or 2, then temination. Just a thought...

I got a hole in the rim joist today. I could have gone thru the block but I would have been ground level and did not want the pipe going up the side of the house. Anyone know how hot the pipe gets ? The pellet pipe says to leave 1" to combustibles and I have that. Thanks Pete

pete97 said:
I got a hole in the rim joist today. I could have gone thru the block but I would have been ground level and did not want the pipe going up the side of the house. Anyone know how hot the pipe gets ? The pellet pipe says to leave 1" to combustibles and I have that. Thanks Pete

I think you'll discover that free air clearances are different than those for a enclosed area. Please edit your thread title to include the stove model.

Thanks for the info and I updated my Title and Sig. I have had wood stoves for years but this is the 1st pellet stove. Anyone know what to use to extend my outside air pipe? The 6ft of small 1" 7/8 pipe wasn't long enough. Pete

pete97 said:
Thanks for the info and I updated my Title and Sig. I have had wood stoves for years but this is the 1st pellet stove. Anyone know what to use to extend my outside air pipe? The 6ft of small 1" 7/8 pipe wasn't long enough. Pete

Metal preheater pipe from an auto shop.

Pay close attention to the length, England recommends a different diameter if the OAK length exceed a certain length.

Ok I was going to use 3 inch if I had to but couldn't find a reducer to put on the stove.

pete97 said:
Ok I was going to use 3 inch if I had to but couldn't find a reducer to put on the stove.

Check at auto parts store or muffler shop...they have lots of different size reducers/increasers.

Englander recommendation in manual: "If the total run of the connection exceeds 6’, use 3†metal pipe and coupler instead".

Status
Not open for further replies.