Summers Heat 55-SHP10 Smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete97

Aug 29, 2006
Pittsburgh Pa
I got this stove installed and I cant tell if it is a paint curing smell or smoke smell. I have a wood burning insert and it isn't the same as the smoke smell from it. The pellet stove is installed in the basement and it has the pipe adapter installed then the tee inside. There is 6 feet of pipe inside a 90 and then a 12" section and the cap outside. I also installed the outside air kit and i used furnace tape on all joints. I cant see smoke coming from any joint. Any suggestions ?? I burned the stove for a couple hrs the 1st night, then couple hrs the next night and couple yesterday. I assume the draft is ok because our power went out yesterday and the basement didn't fill with smoke !!!!

Please describe your furnace tape?

When you burned your stove what heat setting did you use?

It is the silver furnace tape from Home Depot like i have seen others use. I set it higher today and it was a stronger smell. Had it on 8 today but before that 4 or 5. I am thinking it is the paint curing. It seems to only smell like smoke when i first fire it up. Pete

Every time you increase the heat setting more of the paint will cure.

I was just wondering if you got the vent tape or the duct work tape. One can handle the vent temperatures and the others can't and you be smelling the adhesive and such for some time.

I believe it is the vent tape that handles the higher temps.

I bought a roll of the cheaper #322 Nashua alum foil tape from Home Despots ($8) and used it for all my vent pipe joints. I`m not sure it`s even heat rated and I even use it on the stove connector and at every yearly cleaning it simply peels off nicely. It sure is holding great and staying tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.