Summers heat 55-SHP10

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dojistar

Jan 10, 2008
Central MA
I just bough and installed model 55-SHP10 the other day from lowes. Got a great price, only $750 but it is burning very hot and fast.

I have been going though about 25 to 30 lbs of pellets in a 9 hour period on the lowest settings, 1 and 1.

I checked all the gaskets and all seems fine. I checked the "low fuel feed" setting and that was set on 6 and I checked the "low air burn" setting and that one was set on 4.

Are those two settings set too high for when the stove when the heat range setting is on 1?

Any help is appreciated. This stove of cooking me out of the house.

The short answer is, probably yes. Call customer service and ask for Mike Holton. He will get you all set up correctly.

The number is 800-245-6489

Dojistar - The settings you have mentioned are the correct default settings for that stove. BTW, if you don't already know, yours is the same model as the 25PDVC, and most of the posts on this board will reference that model instead of the Summers Heat model #. I actually have the SH branded model, but call it the 25pdvc all the time.

Anyway.... I modified my settings, and adjusted my lff to 4 and my lfa to 5 I think, and that cut down my pellet usage a little bit. But I wasn't going through nearly the amount of pellets you are. There is also a restrictor plate in the hopper of the stove - it's right above the auger, and it's held in by one bolt. You may want to check and see where that thing is located, or as Mike about it when you talk to him. Also, the brand, size and type of pellet can also play a big role in how quickly they burn.

There's lots of factors in pellet stoves - I'm a first time owner and have found this board to be full of extremely helpful and responsive folks.

Dojistar said:
I just bough and installed model 55-SHP10 the other day from lowes. Got a great price, only $750 but it is burning very hot and fast.

I have been going though about 25 to 30 lbs of pellets in a 9 hour period on the lowest settings, 1 and 1.

I checked all the gaskets and all seems fine. I checked the "low fuel feed" setting and that was set on 6 and I checked the "low air burn" setting and that one was set on 4.

Are those two settings set too high for when the stove when the heat range setting is on 1?

Any help is appreciated. This stove of cooking me out of the house.

translates to about 14-15 hours for a 40 lb bag, with that time frame in mind do the following;
lower the "low fuel feed" setting to 3,
monitor the unit burning for at least a half hour after it gets out of startup. if the unit looks like its going to starve for fuel and have to relight from coals between doses of fuel , increase the low fuel feed by 1.

now , we aint finished yet , i need just a bit more info, post a description of how the unit is vented, chimney , through the wall through the roof, how high is vertical, things of that nature , and also let me know about what your altitude above sea level is, all these things will help me determine a good start point to set the low burn air, at which time we may adjust the low fuel feed again to fine tune.

or , if ya want , just call me at the shop during the day 800-245-6489. and we'll discuss it

My set up consists of a 2' horizontal run thru the wall then a 3' rise before it hits the 90 degree elbow and the vent cap. My altitude is only 650 feet so I am using the 3" pellet pipe pro.

I did lower the low fuel feed down to 3 but it appeared to be starving the fire so I upped it to 4. I also increased the low air burn to 5. The burn rate is much better and more inline with what a 40k btu stove should be burning. I also looked at the restricter plate in the hopper. That is slid as far back as it can go.

I did notice with the new settings that the fire burns much more smoky. Is this normal??

Dojistar said:
My set up consists of a 2' horizontal run thru the wall then a 3' rise before it hits the 90 degree elbow and the vent cap. My altitude is only 650 feet so I am using the 3" pellet pipe pro.

I did lower the low fuel feed down to 3 but it appeared to be starving the fire so I upped it to 4. I also increased the low air burn to 5. The burn rate is much better and more inline with what a 40k btu stove should be burning. I also looked at the restricter plate in the hopper. That is slid as far back as it can go.

I did notice with the new settings that the fire burns much more smoky. Is this normal??

shouldnt , migt need to bump up the low burn air some more, see if that will clean it up

Status
Not open for further replies.