Summers Heat 55-SHP22L

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Several things I noticed is your exhaust pipe joints need taped(especially) inside your house!
You have a 1' horizontal pipe outside at your cap and that will accumulate a lot of ash buildup. better to have more vertical
& put cap on the elbow.

Do a search on here for your model of stove and read/learn from all the posts of others problems and suggestions!
One thing I learned the hard way: I normally have a weekly shut down/ cleanup which includes vacuum/scraping any buildup on auger
and purn bot. I left the cleanup slip by and after 2wk. it took twice as long to do the usual cleaning/scraping.

Hope you enjoy the heat and the savings$$$$ Welcome to the forums!

ifixmy2 said:
Several things I noticed is your exhaust pipe joints need taped(especially) inside your house!

The pipe jointswere joined and sealed with high heat RTV silicone

ifixmy2 said:
You have a 1' horizontal pipe outside at your cap and that will accumulate a lot of ash buildup. better to have more vertical
& put cap on the elbow.

I'm a little confused on this one as I followed the instructions given in the vent kit. You mean I need more pipe ?

Clifford said:
So it sounds like I should leave mine at 6-4-1 ? I read somewhere on these forums about running it on "C" from "D". I dont have a clue what mine is set at or how to change any of these numbers. I'll try to get a video up of my flame so you guys can take a peak.

Leave the stove as it was received, as far as the "mode" goes, but after watching the video, you might want to try changing the lower button settings to 5-5-1....a little less pellets and a little more air.......the flame looked a little lazy.

To change the lower button settings, just push the one you want to change, and then either hit both up or both down arrows at the same time. It can be done while the stove is off, or while it's running.

Never change the last one (air on temp)...it always stays at 1.

As for your exhaust set-up, it looks fine to me.

Just curious about one thing....is the exhaust (outside on the side of the house) facing the prevailing wind, or opposite?

The burn didnt seem bad. Plenty of embers IMO. Might add a little air...

As for the bottom 3 #'s and the Code (C & D) These stoves are all different depending on the year they were manufactured. So taking the #'s someone else is using, may prove to be a bad idea. If you didnt write down the bottom 3 when you got the stove. Call Englander and see what yours is supposed to set at from the factory. Doesn't mean you cant change them. Just a good idea to know.

Ifixmy2 - I think he needs the horizontal section on the outside to meet code regulations (Clearance to Combustibles). The vent has to be at least a foot away (not the end of the cap, the beginning).

Because my PDV is old (analog controls) and my Father has never burned his above level 3. I cant truly be a good judge. But based on flame activity and all the embers flying, thats not a bad burn. You can always add more air. But remember. The more air you add. The faster that hot air escapes the stove and lower your exchange rate is (more heat lost out the flue). Its a fine balance between to little air (smolder, soot, and build up) and to much air (super hot, white box, and more heat loss).

imacman said:
Just curious about one thing....is the exhaust (outside on the side of the house) facing the prevailing wind, or opposite?

It's facing south our prevailing winds during the winter is NW

DexterDay said:
The burn didnt seem bad. Plenty of embers IMO. Might add a little air...

I should add that the wear plate was completely full of ash with a few clunkers during filming.

DexterDay said:
If you didnt write down the bottom 3 when you got the stove. Call Englander and see what yours is supposed to set at from the factory.

The stove came to the house with a 6-4-1 setting

Clifford said:
I should add that the wear plate was completely full of ash with a few clunkers during filming.

Reducing the fuel feed a little and increasing the air as I mentioned above, may help reduce the ash issue....should be less ash and more air to blow it out of the pot (and wear plate).

Can't hurt to try it....you can always change it back.

imacman said:
Clifford said:

Reducing the fuel feed a little and increasing the air as I mentioned above, may help reduce the ash issue....should be less ash and more air to blow it out of the pot (and wear plate).

Can't hurt to try it....you can always change it back.

Will this have any effect on running the stove on 4 or is it when I run it at lower settings ?

imacman said:
To change the lower button settings, just push the one you want to change, and then either hit both up or both down arrows at the same time. It can be done while the stove is off, or while it's running.

Just set it to 5-5-1. The only way I could get the numbers to change was to hit the left up arrow. Hitting both arrows did not change anything.

I'm actually confused as to why the large holes in the burnpot are above the wear plate and not below as they are on all the PDVC and PDV stoves I've physically seen. I know a couple years ago a poster had a similar issue on a PDV and also had the holes on the topside of the pot. To me, too much air is passed through those nickel sized holes and not up through the wear plate. I don't remember what his resolve was.....if any......maybe it was to stuff some steel wool into those holes?....I'll try to find that thread....

Clifford said:
imacman said:

Just set it to 5-5-1. The only way I could get the numbers to change was to hit the left up arrow. Hitting both arrows did not change anything.

Well, that may be the way a PDV works....as long as it changes the number.

If this is a new stove, my guess is that the lower 3 buttons will have an effect on the higher heat settings too. Maybe Mike Holton will come on and tell us for sure.

Have you seen any change?

imacman said:

Seeing more sparks flying and on start up seeing a hint of a good blueish flame coming through the wear plate. I tried to get a video of this last night but I'm not sure if the camera picked up the blue flame. Ash build up in the wear plate however has NOT changed. I have noticed the the flame and the ash build up favor the right side of the pot.

Can anyone tell me if the glow plug stays lit during the entire time or doe it just come on for start up?

Clifford said:
imacman said:

Seeing more sparks flying and on start up seeing a hint of a good blueish flame coming through the wear plate. I tried to get a video of this last night but I'm not sure if the camera picked up the blue flame. Ash build up in the wear plate however has NOT changed. I have noticed the the flame and the ash build up favor the right side of the pot.

Can anyone tell me if the glow plug stays lit during the entire time or doe it just come on for start up?

The flame you describe sounds optimum and the amount of ash build up you now see may be normal, likely determined by the brand of pellets. Buildup on the RH side is normal due to rotation of the auger. The Ignitor goes off automatically after the several minutes needed for start up.

i know on my PDV i need to run it at 5-5-1 to get a good burn

as far as ash build up goes...no matter what type of pellets i burn
the amount of ash stays the same...i just dump the burn pot
twice a day...once when i wake up and then again before bed.

Hi guys it's me again the OP of this thread. Still have the same stove and love it. After a few years of flawless operation of a well maintained unit, I ran into a problem this evening. Was going out to the kitchen to shut her down for a quick clean out after an all day run and noticed the room blower was not running! It was on a 1/2 hour ago. No code or shutdown mode on the control panel. I immediately hit the off button on the CP. I was running 1/9....... blower set on 9 as I always run that setting during the fall months. I could tell the stove was much hotter with the room blower not running. As the stove went through the shutdown mode and the temp of the stove dropped down, the room blower all of a sudden started back up again? Any ideas? Looks like this afternoons burn was a little richer then normal for some reason with the last bag of pellets.

I have to wonder if the room blower has an automatic shut down if it overheats. Then resets when cooled down. When I took the stove apart for the annual cleaning back in September I removed a lot of caked up dust and pet hair on the screen attached to the blower. What I did not know until last night was that on the opposite side of the blower where the actual mechanical motor is (copper coil windings)...... a place you cannot get to unless you pull the motor out or shine a light through the outside panel cutout louvers....that there is an area on that motor that needs to be cleaned too. There are air slots over the coils within the motor. They where all clogged with hair and dust. So with tweezers at first then followed by compress air I got them all unclogged and cleaned. Kept the stove off last night while I slept just in case and cranked her up early this morning. So far everything is working. Blower came on when suppose too and is still running. Will have to wait and see. Might give a call out to England's this morning just to double check with them.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Out of curiosity, what did you finally end up with for your three button settings?
That seemed to be what you were experimenting with..

I have to wonder if the room blower has an automatic shut down if it overheats.

The room blower does have some temperature controls(at least on my model) Not sure if there's one for overheating, but the blower will shut down if the heat exchanger temperature drops too low. Running on 1/9 would be something that would create that condition. You're basically cooling it as quickly as possible while heating it as slowly as possible. I don't think this is a problem, but I have noticed that my room blower will shut down and restart when the stove is in idle due to the thermostat being satisfied.

So, if that's the case, I think it's working as designed.

I have to wonder if the room blower has an automatic shut down if it overheats. Then resets when cooled down. When I took the stove apart for the annual cleaning back in September I removed a lot of caked up dust and pet hair on the screen attached to the blower. What I did not know until last night was that on the opposite side of the blower where the actual mechanical motor is (copper coil windings)...... a place you cannot get to unless you pull the motor out or shine a light through the outside panel cutout louvers....that there is an area on that motor that needs to be cleaned too. There are air slots over the coils within the motor. They where all clogged with hair and dust. So with tweezers at first then followed by compress air I got them all unclogged and cleaned. Kept the stove off last night while I slept just in case and cranked her up early this morning. So far everything is working. Blower came on when suppose too and is still running. Will have to wait and see. Might give a call out to England's this morning just to double check with them.

yep, stove has a "soft trip" on the high limit it will simply inturrupt the top auger circuit until the stove drops back to below the high limit then return to feeding, now the blower has its own "limit switch" built into the motor when it trips it kills the blower and allows it to cool, then when it cools it starts the blower back up. if the blower motor's vents are plugged up its very likely the blower would hit this limit especially on high, so cleaning out the motor's air holes should have fixed the issue

So far the blower motor has not shut down again on its own. Been running the stove each day for a few hours to take the dampness out and chill. Have not done a full 24 hour burn yet since it all started with the blower shutting down. Strange thing happened though this morning. Hit the on button and walked away as it started up. Came back into the room 2 minutes later and the stove was off. Shut it's self down? Didn't even get one pellet onto the burn pot. Hit the on button again and it started and took off. Running now as it should. Stove is on it's own surge protector. I'm hoping and praying that's what caused it to shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.