Summer's Heat 55SHP-22 (25-PDV) Room Air Blower Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ericofmaine

Feeling the Heat
Feb 8, 2012
Southern Maine
Hello all!

First post here, but been burning my initial stove since 2008. I've searched through the forums to find my problem with no luck (maybe I didn't use the right search terms). My Summer's Heat recently had the room air blower stop working. As its been warm lately, I haven't needed to burn it a lot, but I'd like solve the problem regardless.
The stove will start up and burn fine, but the room air blower won't come on once the stove is up to temp. The other morning, the stove had shut down, but I didn't see any error codes, and I just attributed the shut down to lack of pellets. I did some diagnostic work tonight per the Englander website with the following results:
Put the stove in Diagnostic mode, turned on the room air blower with no luck. I do think I heard a faint click as though a relay was trying to latch. I then swapped the lower auger motor wires with the room air blower. When I turned on the lower auger motor (now the blower), the blower came on, so I know my blower motor is OK. I reswapped the wires and tried to do a reboot of the board. I think this came off ok, as I got the "F-5." The only thing I can think of now, at least per what I've found online, is that its a control board.
Sorry this is long winded, but I wanted to try to get all of the pertinent information out there. If anyone has any thoughts or could suggest something else to try, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Eric

Hello Eric

I just finished rebuilding a 25-PDV so I do know something about them.

The 1st item to check is the wire diagram on Page 19 of your owner's manual.
Check if there are any safety switches in series with the room blower.
I posted it here and I do not see any safety switches that may effect your blower.

I do know that the blower should turn on when the stove heats up to approx 90 Deg F.
The control panel uses a Thermal Sensor. The end is secured to the back of the fire box and tells the control panel when the stove is fired up. That is the Proof Of Fire sensor. It has a white high temp jacket around the 2 conductor wire that plugs into the control panel. I would check this wire and assure that both leads are securely plugged into the control panel. If they are making a good connection then it is possible the control panel is faulty or the Thermal sensor is bad.

Before changing the control panel, I would contact England Stove Works Support for more assistance.
Also the Sr Support Tech Mike Holton is a member here and he may chime in when he is not too busy.

Good Luck.
Don

Attachments

• 25-PDVwirediagram.jpg
    25-PDVwirediagram.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 544
Hello Eric

I just finished rebuilding a 25-PDV so I do know something about them.

The 1st item to check is the wire diagram on Page 19 of your owner's manual.
Check if there are any safety switches in series with the room blower.
I posted it here and I do not see any safety switches that may effect your blower.

I do know that the blower should turn on when the stove heats up to approx 90 Deg F.
The control panel uses a Thermal Sensor. The end is secured to the back of the fire box and tells the control panel when the stove is fired up. That is the Proof Of Fire sensor. It has a white high temp jacket around the 2 conductor wire that plugs into the control panel. I would check this wire and assure that both leads are securely plugged into the control panel. If they are making a good connection then it is possible the control panel is faulty or the Thermal sensor is bad.

Before changing the control panel, I would contact England Stove Works Support for more assistance.
Also the Sr Support Tech Mike Holton is a member here and he may chime in when he is not too busy.

Good Luck.
Don

Thanks Don. When putting the stove into diagnostic mode, according to the instructions, the first thing to come up is the heat sensor. It fluctuates between 6 & 7. Not sure if that is normal for a cold stove? As for any safety switch, I didn't see any either.

Eric

To help we need info , What stove do you have , set up ,and what is the problem . All would be helpful.

its a pdve. Built in 11-2005. For some reason my stove sends alot of pellets into the burn box and then all of the sudden it sends hardly any pellets in the burn box. its very inconsistent. One minute i have a little flame the next i have a huge flame to the point i have to shut it down to get the fire to tame down My bottom auger turns all the time and i didnt know if it suppose to do that.

I believe it is a PDVC. The lower auger turns all of the time, the upper auger delivers pellets in pulses. Do you know what you have the stove set on? Lba LFF numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.