Summers heat and Englander stoves---Who made who

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spadafore

Hearth Supporter
Sep 4, 2008
northwest ohio
Hey folks alittle background first. I currently burn a Lopi Answer, it does an awesome job when the winter weather is not to bitterly cold or windy. It usually raises my ranch house three degrees an hour. That is running it full open not closing the air all the way, just flat out letting it rip. Last night the temp was 15 outside with 50 mph winds. I leave my furnace at 60 and let the stove do the rest. Last night the thermstat on the wall moved up two degrees in three hours. I am seriously considering a new stove. The Lopi is alittle undersized for my house but I bought it because it was a good deal and a step up from a franklin fireplace. After looking on e bay and craigslist I am leaning towards buying brand new. I want to buy a stove that has a decent sized firebox. You can have a small fire in a big stove not a big fire in a small stove. I stumbled on to summers heat stoves sold at a couple big box stores. All model numbers have a NC. They remind me of Englander model numbers. So who makes these stoves? Are they one in the same? They seem pretty reasonable in price as the stove that heats 2200 square feet is anywheres from 1000 to 1200 plus another couple hundred for the blower. I want to get a stove that I can utilize. I mean burn it like it is supposed to be burnt. I.E. filling the firebox, letting the wood char, closing the air, watching the secondaries, and let the wood burn its' cycle. Like it's supposed to be done. I only can do that in my answer in the spring and fall. I know it will take more wood to fill a bigger firebox, but in the end I think I will not use more wood, because of streching out the burn time. Maybe I'm wrong. Any advice. And once again thanks for your help.

Another happy 30 user here. Great stove!

Another piece of trivia... England's Stove Works has nothing to do with England, the country, but rather the last name of the founder.

-SF

Yet another piece of trivia. Summers Heat has nothing to do with a season. Summers was the middle name of Robert England one of the founders of England's Stove Works.

And another bit of trivia . . . up here in Yankee Land I cannot tell you how often I hear people calling their Englander stove a "New Englander" . . . they seem to think the stove is named for the region. ;)

Another happy user here 7degrees here last night with 30MPH winds and the house was 80 on medium fires. Going into my second year burning 24/7 and haven't used a drop of fuel oil.

cre73 said:
Another happy user here 7degrees here last night with 30MPH winds and the house was 80 on medium fires. Going into my second year burning 24/7 and haven't used a drop of fuel oil.

How many times a day are you reloading in that weather?

firefighterjake said:
And another bit of trivia . . . up here in Yankee Land I cannot tell you how often I hear people calling their Englander stove a "New Englander" . . . they seem to think the stove is named for the region. ;)

Maybe they just got their stove? LOL. It's their "new" Englander.

-SF

BrotherBart said:
Yet another piece of trivia. Summers Heat has nothing to do with a season. Summers was the middle name of Robert England one of the founders of England's Stove Works.

Timber Ridge must have been where he lived.

Reloading about three times 3/4 full, and a couple splits here and there in the evening. Trying to keep the house just comfy while we are watching TV, cooking dinner, doing homework and such. Before bed and before work loading it up so we have enough coals in the morning and when I get home from work.

Where is the easiest place to buy them in terms of lead time and cheapest deal.

Some people play a waiting game for the year end closeouts at the big box stores but if I was getting one right now I would get it from http://www.overstockstoves.com/

Well I ordered the 30 last nite. Stove, blower, freight and tax just under 1600 bucks. Probably a better deal out there but forward we march.

spadafore said:
Well I ordered the 30 last nite. Stove, blower, freight and tax just under 1600 bucks. Probably a better deal out there but forward we march.

Where did you order it?

Home depot on line.

spadafore said:

I'm getting my 30 at Lowes. Went on Ebay and got a 10% off coupon for Lowes for 3 bucks. Looking to save at least a hundred bucks.

blel said:
BrotherBart said:

Timber Ridge must have been where he lived.

atually thats the only line name that doesnt have a direct connection with the founder. though i love the "rusticness" of the name

a hearty welcome to the newest members of the ESW family hoping that when your "new" englander stove becomes an "old" englander stove you are as happy as i know you will be enjoying your first fire in that beast of a stove!

Mike, What's the point of having three different makes of the same stoves?

BTW, i got an email from "Corie P" he was quick to respond to my question and to the point. That's why I like ESW. (I now know the recommended burn/overfire temps for my stove, yay).

Danno77 said:
BTW, i got an email from "Corie P" he was quick to respond to my question and to the point. That's why I like ESW. (I now know the recommended burn/overfire temps for my stove, yay).

Share the new found knowledge.

GatorDL55 said:
spadafore said:

I'm getting my 30 at Lowes. Went on Ebay and got a 10% off coupon for Lowes for 3 bucks. Looking to save at least a hundred bucks.

I may be anti big bix store with some of my posts, but that was a very nifty move you just pulled there with that coupon. Good job

Status
Not open for further replies.