Summers Heat/Englander 55 SHP22 burn pot fit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After removing the Burn Pot to clean it and getting ready to reinstall it...noticed 4 screws in the area behind the Burn Pot. 2 on the right tigh/flush, 2 on the left both almost 1/8" sticking out, unable to loosen tor tighten them as they are possibly cross-threaded. There is no way the gasket can take up the void and allow the burn pot to seal completely.

In 2.5 seasons I haven't had any problems other than a it's little tempermental adjusting the burn. All of the sudden I'm not so impressed with the quality, actually it is plain poor assembly. Englander says it's "OK", I think it would seal better if it fit properly. Any thoughts?

Agree on the quality but it is what it is. How about a piece of rope gasket behind it. Should fill in the void.. If its not sealed you are losing a lot of air that would normally be going through the burn pot..

I used some fire proof header wrap to make a new gasket about double the thickness. I will check the burn/ash content when i get home, it looked pretty good after burning overnight. I'm just not a fan of double gasketing anything!. From a mechanical standpoint it works. I'm sure the guy that put it together wouldn't mind if I stripped the oil drain plug on his truck and double gasketed it to make it seal!

Bought brand new from Lowes.
I'd take a close-up pics of the screws and email them to Mike Holton at Englander. Maybe he has an idea on what to do about them.

At the very least, post them on the forum....Mike cruises through here a couple of times a week and may see the thread.

i wouldnt think they would be cross threaded , i doubt they would have gone in that far were that the case, did you try applying some penetrant to the back sides of the boltheads before attempting to tighten them? being as they have been in this position for a couple seasons they may be hard to move without a little liquid wrench or WD-40

Status
Not open for further replies.