summers heat/englander 55-SHPAH pellet stove heating capacity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whosthat

Sep 27, 2011
maine
hey all im completely new to pellet stoves, but I have had woodstoves as long as i can remember anyways I went out and bought a summers heat 55-SHPAH 25000 btu pellet stove rated for 2000 square feet.

Now I have a few problems here, my main concern is will this stove heat my entire 24' x 40' ranch with a daylight basement at around 1900 sq ft.? my house is very well insulated and i can heat it with a moderate sized woodstove (in maine BTW) both are in the basement.

secondly I have had a hell of time sealing the 3" simpson dura vent i bought from lowes. I finally have it under control after about 10 gallons of high temp silicone but it STILL smokes during start up and im worried that its still leaking CO2. I have 4' vertical rise above the stove one cleanout tee (its inside the basement) one 90 and its straight out the house. I'm pretty sure I don't require a 4" vent.

also outside air does not seem to be a problem with the 2" vent supplied the fire is not lazy in the slightest.
the simpson dura vent is leaking at the seams on the 3way tee btw, and every 90 i had also leaked but i manged to stop that.

Anyways its not to late to take this thing back I didn't spend all this money for a stove that won't heat my house or to die of co2 inhalation.
does anyone have and advice on my situation?

p.s heres a link to the stove:
http://www.englanderstoves.com/55-shpah.html

Just installed a 25-PDVC myself. The pellet experts here can advise better but I had the leaks with the Simpson too. Solved it all with taking the back plate off the stove and wrapping the pipe adapter tight with aluminum HVAC tape. Rated to 230 degrees and when the stove is running the connection only gets to around 160.

I then wrapped every connection on the pipe. No silicone.

ya Im using the tape also, I forgot to mention that. the only problem is the 3way T doesn't tape up very well and has alot of seams that leak.

so does anyone have any info about how well this stove heats? will it heat my house or should i take it back and get a bigger one?

EDIT summers heat says there 25000 btu stove will heat 2000 sq ft, heatilator says 35000 for 1700 sq ft......................I'm more then a bit confused on this, is summers heat just talking out there ass or what?

whosthat said:
ya Im using the tape also, I forgot to mention that. the only problem is the 3way T doesn't tape up very well and has alot of seams that leak.

so does anyone have any info about how well this stove heats? will it heat my house or should i take it back and get a bigger one?

EDIT summers heat says there 25000 btu stove will heat 2000 sq ft, heatilator says 35000 for 1700 sq ft......................I'm more then a bit confused on this, is summers heat just talking out there ass or what?

You never go by a square footage figure, that figure is a maximum under certain conditions the odds of any one house and climate meeting those conditions is between slim and none.

That stove burns at maximum rate 4 pounds an hour (so they say), what you'll get for heat out of it will depend upon the pellet you use and the actual efficiency of the stove.

If this figure exceeds or meets the heat loss of your house on the coldest day of the year at your location then it will be able to heat your house.

ya I know, the problem is I didn't realize any of this untill now, it said 2000 sq ft so i bought it.

I really am not sure if it can heat my house on some of the coldest winter days, My house is as tight as a house can be and have heated it with a small woodstove before but I have my doubts about this one, it just doesnt wail out heat.

I was kinda hoping someone with a similar stove could tell me how well there's heats.

I have a 25pdvc heating part of my 1st floor (1600 ft) ... I don't see it happening for you.

whosthat said:
ya I know, the problem is I didn't realize any of this untill now, it said 2000 sq ft so i bought it.

I really am not sure if it can heat my house on some of the coldest winter days, My house is as tight as a house can be and have heated it with a small woodstove before but I have my doubts about this one, it just doesnt wail out heat.

I was kinda hoping someone with a similar stove could tell me how well there's heats.

No pellet stove wails out heat and the 25PAH has a fairly large (250 CFM) convection blower for a pellet unit so what comes out isn't going to feel hot on the lower settings, that unit fired with Cubex will produce almost 37,000 BTUs/hour gross.

I heat my place (1800+ square feet) with a slightly larger unit but I never run it above 3 on a scale of 1 to 5, the convection blower on mine is a 160 CFM unit.

Ill have to check out those cubix pellets, and I've decided I'll try it this winter if it doesn't do the job ill sell it in the spring and get a bigger one. I think its possible it will heat my house, but unlikely.

Ty guys for the help, im sure ill be back i've only owned a pellet stove for a week and im sure ill need some more help

i have had this stove going on 3 years. You have nothing to worry about. I have a 1976 post and beam gambrel style home that is 2400 sq ft and not very well insulated. this stove heats alot more then i ever expected. I also have the 25 pdvc that i had on the main floor but swapped it for this one because i was sick of filling the hopper every day. The stove stays on setting 4 all day long. heats the downstairs to 70 and upstairs 65. now i could crank it up to 9 but there is no need for me. the stove has been awesome to me. i have three englander stoves in my house (only one burning at a time). i have the 30nc wood stoves that i run all night because i get wood for free and then the pellet stove runs during the day. the 25pdvc is upstairs and i have yet to turn it on since its been up there. Stop worrying, im sure you this will work out good for you. As for the pipe i have the same problem but once its running its fine.

whosthat said:
ya Im using the tape also, I forgot to mention that. the only problem is the 3way T doesn't tape up very well and has alot of seams that leak.......

The T CAN be taped, as I show in the attached pic below....this is before spraying with satin Hi heat stove paint.

As for the BTU figures, manufacturers normally tend to be a little high on their heat output figures, but the actual heating ability also depends on the quality of pellet burned, the settings on the stove, the exhaust set-up, the house layout, etc, etc.

Please note that the "fine print" on both stoves mentions words like "approximate" and "guideline only".

If you have concerns about the Englander, give Mike Holton a call at the Tech line....he will be straight with you about the stove if you give him the house layout, stove placement, etc.

Attachments

• T taped.jpg
    T taped.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 733
Yep, that is exactly how I taped my tee and the smoke smell quit. A cord wood burner is never gonna feel like he is getting the heat from a pellet stove like he got from the wood stove. I know, I am a cord wood guy. But the consistent heat and the room blower are what have me giving a pellet stove a shot. It won't have that up, then peak, then down curve like the wood stove. It will just sit there and keep cranking out the BTUs.

whosthat said:

I heated 2k sqft with a similar stove. My older Quad was 48000(gross) BTU's max. It did pretty well until the temps dipped below 10ºF. I had to be real selective with the fuel I tossed in. That's where I started to measure the actual heat my stove produced with the brands I could find locally. Once I found a brand that showed high numbers, I'd set them aside for the cold season. I have since jacked my BTU's up to 60,000(gross) with my latest stove and I can sit in my undies well below -20ºF. I don't need to be as selective with the fuel I toss in the hopper so much(but still keep some extreme heat brands JIC). I have plenty of head room to play with now.

Choose your pellets wisely and you stand a chance to get by, Also having some additional heat to assist will also get you by the cold spells. Another thing is don't cycle the stove with a stat if it has problems coping with the heat loss. Run it 24/7 at a steady pace.

I have a Englander 25-PVDC that came from the factory with a D code setting. With help from this forum, I changed to a C code setting and the heat output jumped considerably. Of course so did my pellet usage as well. I have a 1600 ft2 metal building with 12 ft eaves and minimal insulation.

Wide open on the D code programming did not get it done. The C code programming on level 5 of 9 made all the difference and I am happy!

imacman said:
whosthat said:
ya Im using the tape also, I forgot to mention that. the only problem is the 3way T doesn't tape up very well and has alot of seams that leak.......

The T CAN be taped, as I show in the attached pic below....this is before spraying with satin Hi heat stove paint.

As for the BTU figures, manufacturers normally tend to be a little high on their heat output figures, but the actual heating ability also depends on the quality of pellet burned, the settings on the stove, the exhaust set-up, the house layout, etc, etc.

Please note that the "fine print" on both stoves mentions words like "approximate" and "guideline only".

If you have concerns about the Englander, give Mike Holton a call at the Tech line....he will be straight with you about the stove if you give him the house layout, stove placement, etc.

I'm going to do that, I've seen a few of his posts on here and Im thinking im gonna give him a call. I'm hoping to maybe change some factory settings also to get more heat out of it if i need to.

I ran it all day today wife was cold and sick got it up to 78 inside the house top floor, unfortunately its only 55 outside so im thinking that doesn't bode very well for when temps hit 0. I'm just so fing torn up about it, I'd like to give it a chance but on the other hand theres alot of money at stake here. I'm gonna give that mike guy a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.