Summers heat Large fire viewing door ,very appealing.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seasoned Oak

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Eastern Central PA
Summers heat a spin off or rebadge of the englander series commonly sold at lowes has a new model that has me wanting to sell one of my NC-30s and trade up. I just love a stove with a maximum fire viewing door and this stove takes that to the limit. It looks like the idea here was to make every available square inch of door into a better fire view. For me its all about the view. I cant find any reviews on the stove as its so new. Would love to see one with a fire going in it.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_669024-76845-50-SHSSW02___?productId=999918850&pl=1&Ntt=wood+stoves

Last edited:
First I've seen of the new stove (Monroe??) at a big box store. Sux that Englander is not posting this stove or the Madison in the catalogs on their website.

Last edited:
Looks like the window on the 13. Appears it's wider but not as deep...not as square a fire box as the 30.

Not showing up at our local Home Depot yet.

I think the pedestal is a bit of an improvement on this model compared to the Madison.

I'm curious to learn more about the "automatic air setback feature"

The dimensions of the stove make it something I wouldn't be interested in though.

We just bought the Madison at Lowes (50-SHSSW01) and will be putting it in tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think.

I'm curious to learn more about the "automatic air setback feature"

The dimensions of the stove make it something I wouldn't be interested in though.
A thread about the AAS has been going on - https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/air-lever-on-englander-madison.147372/ - my current view on it is that the AAS feature works, but, the stock "tune" was a little off (too high of a trigger temperature in my case) and it's a pain to disassemble the first time and tweak the spring (though much easier to disassemble the 2nd time around if you replace the housing screws and/or use some anti-seize on the threads), but now that it's dialed in it's a nice feature to have. I don't have a full winter's experience with it yet. Keep in mind even if the AAS isn't tuned right, you can forget about the feature and use the draft rod like any other Englander stove.

More pics of the Madison's innards here - https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/esw-madison-pics.146903/

Looks like with the width of the new stove ("Monroe" we're calling it, not sure if ESW has settled on that name yet) makes it appropriate to orient the ash pan facing forward (instead to the right like the Madison). All in all I'm happy with my Madison's performance. The Madison comes with the AC-14 blower and can take the AC-30 blower as an upgrade if you buy it- I'm guessing the new "Monroe" is the same.

My Madison can take 16" splits N/S in addition to 18" E/W, the Monroe is wider but if it's as deep as the Madison then 16" would work for N/S loading too.

Reactions: pen
Looks like the window on the 13. Appears it's wider but not as deep...not as square a fire box as the 30.
Its about 2" taller and 2.5 " Wider view than the door on the 30.

Its about 2" taller and 2.5 " Wider view than the door on the 30.

It seems to be listed the same as the 30, I'm wondering if it will actually throw as much heat.

I can't seem to find any clearance specs for the 'Monroe'. Are they similar to the Madison (ember protection only)?

In the event I buy a new stove in the near future, I'm finding that my hearth is going to limit me in choices.

I can't seem to find any clearance specs for the 'Monroe'. Are they similar to the Madison (ember protection only)?

In the event I buy a new stove in the near future, I'm finding that my hearth is going to limit me in choices.
Judging by the design, probably the same. Same heat shields on the sides, same tall pedestal... probably the same.

edit: Here's the manual! http://www.heatredefined.com/assets/images/general/15-SSW02.pdf
(The part# is almost exactly the same as the Madison except there's a "2" at the end instead of 1... so it was easy to find)

@stoveguy2esw Just noticed an error(?) in the manual, page 5:
Firebox Capacity........................................................................................ 23 lbs.

I doubt it only holds 23lbs :)
Illustrated parts diagram page 33 shows a diagram of the Madison too...

Last edited:
Reminds me of the drolet HT2000 or whatever their big one is.

Sux that Englander is not posting this stove or the Madison in the catalogs on their website.
Their version of a beta program? Get a bunch of stove nerds to test it out. ;) It caught the issue with the aas early, without much bad press or a lot of warranty work...

I could see that for AM FM Energy but Lowes is volume mainstream sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.