SummersHeat finally installed, trying to break in.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlpz

Sep 14, 2006
Syracuse, New York
Finally after a year or so of dorking around, my NC30 (SummersHeat version)is in.

Last night I built a small fire to start my break in, but I think I'm doing something wrong.

I put some very small splits in east/west put some paper in between and covered that with kindling and lit it. I pulled the air open all the way and left the door open a crack. It burned like a blow torch! So that wood burned right up, I added more. That wood took off too, but if I shut the door the fire goes right out or fills the stove with smoke. Would this be a problems of not getting the stack up to temp.?

The fire did eventually get going but I noticed it took off good when a big gust of wind blew across stack and I'm assuming down it. Also seemed like the air control really didn't change the fires behavior whether it was full opened, halfway or closed.

appreciate any help!!

I have 5 1/2' of double wall to the ceiling and then i believe it goes goes 9' above the roof and about a foot through the attic. i'd post a pic but unfortunately its dark.

The wood I'm burning for my break in is kiln dried bundled convenience store wood that been sitting in a wood holder in my house for about a year.

Give the wood time to really get burning before you close the door. If you get it going real well and close the door with the intake wide open and the fire goes out then you have 1 of 2 things going on. Either the intake is not opening or the flue is not drafting.

I'll try to let it burn a little longer, the manual says 20 minutes.

I believe the installer measured the draft but not positive if he did. I'll email him to see for sure.

Is there an easy check on the NC30 to see if your air control is opening and closing?

Also how much wood should I be initially filling this stove with for burning in?

Keep the door cracked until it's burning well. I close my door a little at a time. My stove doesn't like sharp changes in the door or air control.

As for the air control, move it in and out. You should hear a bit of a thunk at either end. Also, if it wasn't hooked up you would probably pull the handle out in your hand.

Well, I think I'm a step closer to the problem.

Last night I opened the door of the stove a crack and held a lighter to it, it sucked that flame right into the stove. Held it to the air in take and it sucked it into the stove as well.

Tonight did the same thing and its blowing it in towards the house. This is not the type of sucking and blowing I was hoping for with a nice cozy fire in the family room!!!

Am I fighting a battle with my furnace and hot water flue maybe? The vent for those are higher than the stove chimney. Not setting off any CO2 monitors thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.