Summertime bee pests

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleyjohn

Minister of Fire
Mar 29, 2008
southcentral Ct
Ok!maybe a far fetch problem but ill ask.Has anyone had any problems with bees making nests or entering the house threw the chimney?Where i live we have a problem with hornets and yellow jackets getting into everything.Before we put in the wood stove this year the fireplace damper would always be closed preventing any outside entry.With a wood stove there still may be entry into the stove with the stove damper closed.When the installer placed the ss top cover!he cut larger holes into it saying it was to help prevent creosote build up there.Big enough holes for bees and not small animals to enter.

Yellow jackets always get into the chimney in the summer but we've never had a big problem.

Why not just stuff some insulation or other material into the flue for the summer. If you do, I'd also recommend you tape a large note on the firebox door as a reminder to you next fall to remove the material before you build a fire.

He cut holes in the top plate on top of the chimney? That is supposed to be totally sealed off to prevent air from flowing down the old chimney into the house. Unless there is a sealed block off plate?

I see in your signature you do have a block off plate. Still doesn't make any sense to cut holes in the top plate.

jtp is correct, the top plate should be a weathertight seal, no holes at all there. Do you mean he cut holes in the top chimney plate or he drilled holes in the top of the flue cap? If they are in the flue cap, I don't get the reasoning behind this.

Backwoods Savage said:
Yellow jackets always get into the chimney in the summer but we've never had a big problem.

Why not just stuff some insulation or other material into the flue for the summer. If you do, I'd also recommend you tape a large note on the firebox door as a reminder to you next fall to remove the material before you build a fire.

Or just light a hot fire in July or August and then go outside. I do that every summer at least once just to be sure there are no critters of any kind hanging about in the liner. Try to pick a rainy day if possible.

[quote author="BeGreen" date="1208634150"]jtp is correct, the top plate should be a weathertight seal, no holes at all there. Do you mean he cut holes in the top chimney plate or he drilled holes in the top of the flue cap? If they are in the flue cap, I don't get the reasoning behind this.[/quote

The slots under the rain cap were made larger!When i saw installer doing this i asked him why and he said to help prevent creosote buildup and possible loss of air flow.Top plate is sealed.Heres a pic! Click on to enlarge

Attachments

• IMG_0286.JPG
    IMG_0286.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 337
I had a few yellow jackets fly into the living room during my lpre fall cleaning last year.
Someone mentioned using a 6" pvc pipe end cap. I will be trying that out this year. Also had a nest of them under the storm collar, sprayed em & watched em drop.

I have never had to modify one single cap and don't plan on it. They are engineered pieces of equipment.

No offense but that cap you have looks pretty pitiful.

jtp10181 said:
I have never had to modify one single cap and don't plan on it. They are engineered pieces of equipment.

No offense but that cap you have looks pretty pitiful.

No Offense Taken!Im still a rookie who will know more in time.I can always get a new cap.

Funny you should post it. Last night I had the first live thing fly into my wood stove via the flue, it was a moth and my two cats were completely fascinated by it, watching the thing and jumping and putting their noses to the glass door. I've never seen them so interested in the thing so I walked over there and looked in, saw a moth fluttering around and though wow, Cat TV! They were fixated on the stove for quite a while...

Jay

Jay H said:
Funny you should post it. Last night I had the first live thing fly into my wood stove via the flue, it was a moth and my two cats were completely fascinated by it, watching the thing and jumping and putting their noses to the glass door. I've never seen them so interested in the thing so I walked over there and looked in, saw a moth fluttering around and though wow, Cat TV! They were fixated on the stove for quite a while...

Jay

Thats way too funny :lol: Maybe my two cats will be able to see the wild kingdom too.

Status
Not open for further replies.