Summertime Scrounge (Pics/vid)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCounty

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2009
Southeast PA
Been away from hearth for some time but now getting back to it. Lost father-in-law in June after battle with leukemia so focus was elsewhere.

In July, came upon awesome score. A couple had over 70, yes 70, trees cleared on their property. I was late to the party but managed 4 truck/5x8trailer loads of ash, walnut, and hickory! Was going back for a 5th load, but a landscaper came in and just cleared it out. Be happy with what I got, right! Pic with my helpers.

Also, scored 2 loads of red oak a couple weeks prior to that. Sandy left over. Nice stuff. I will get back to splitting so. Set for this year and will post those pics later.

And, yesterday I helped neighbor (and new hearth member) install new Jotul insert. Nice appliance. Needless to say, he will be happy with it!

Enjoy being back reading through posts.

Video of score with my helpers. Excuse my wife's attempt at humor!

july13.JPG
july13a.JPG
july13b.JPG

I'll correct her a little. He like "high quality" wood! Nice the way you have your kids safely helping.

The wife acts like she doesn't understand why gathering wood is so enjoyable, but I bet she is the first one to snuggle up to the wood stove. Women secretly enjoy wood too.

Nice pics, nice place, nice family, nice wood!

great Wife....mine would be screaming if I had all that yet to split, and was bringing home more....you're a lucky man

Very nice...and got the workforce in training to boot... If they catch the wood bug, your wife is in for it thou...ha

Sorry for your loss..... a great scrounge, two awesome kids helping, your wife taking video, and wood to last for years, life is good buddy!

Sorry to hear about your loss. Im glad to see your teaching you boys the value of work. It's great to see the whole family involved doing things together.

I'm sorry for your loss as well. Great score for sure!! See, wood does bring a family together....... :) Beautiful kids you got there!

the sarcastic wife about your wood...i have one of those

Reactions: CTFIRE
Sorry about the loss of your FIL.
When the wife gets snarky, remind her how warm the house is in winter. Don't forget to mention the really small/nonexistant heating bill, wherever that comes from.
Cute, cute kids.

Reactions: BucksCounty
My wife gives me a hard time when I see a stack of wood and almost drive off the road checking it out, well deserved I guess...... But, on the other hand she definitely loves the wood stove and the heat it kicks off, and then she's thanking me for spending ALL that time cutting splitting and stacking, and then maybe a little staring at the piles! :)

Been away from hearth for some time but now getting back to it. Lost father-in-law in June after battle with leukemia so focus was elsewhere.

In July, came upon awesome score. A couple had over 70, yes 70, trees cleared on their property. I was late to the party but managed 4 truck/5x8trailer loads of ash, walnut, and hickory! Was going back for a 5th load, but a landscaper came in and just cleared it out. Be happy with what I got, right! Pic with my helpers.

Also, scored 2 loads of red oak a couple weeks prior to that. Sandy left over. Nice stuff. I will get back to splitting so. Set for this year and will post those pics later.

And, yesterday I helped neighbor (and new hearth member) install new Jotul insert. Nice appliance. Needless to say, he will be happy with it!

Enjoy being back reading through posts.

Video of score with my helpers. Excuse my wife's attempt at humor!

Glad to have you back BucksCounty.

Sad to hear of your loss but glad you are back at the wood gathering. Looks like you have a lot to split there and most of it will need lots of time yet to dry. The ash will be ready first for sure but it still should have a year in the stack after being split.

Love the video of the kids helping. Reminds me of when we had two helping sons....

Reactions: dylskee
Awesome score. You're not to far from me. Real nice family there. That's what life's about. Pass it on!;)

I didn't hear an ounce of sarcasm or even get snarky.
I heard a wife just like mine....completely surrendered to my insanity!
Yep. My wife knows I'm crazy when it comes to firewood and scrounging.... She loves the heat.:)>

Reactions: BucksCounty
Status
Not open for further replies.