Summit Fan Sensor Placement, experiment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneralBill

Sep 30, 2009
Western OR
I have a 5+ year old Summit that has a few detractions that I hope to fix. The fan goes through spells of rattling, and it often takes an hour to (auto) turn on for first starts.

Removing the unit, it looks like the sensor sort of is placed against the lower back of the stove. I'm guessing that heat and slight movements cause the sensor to sometimes vibrate against the back of the stove. Another, seemingly strange, aspect is that it is placed in line with lower (cold indoor) air intake and on the other side of the metal is the cold (outside, OAK) combustible air intake. So, the sensor stays pretty cold for quite a while. In fact, the OAK means that the sensor probably gets a lot cooler for over a half hour at startup.

My experiment is to bend the sensor bracket so the sensor is closer to the stove, hopefully making the two touch. Hopefully, it will stop the rattle and get a more direct heat transfer going. [edit:] It should be cold enough for a fire, so I'll report results.

Following this, because my T5 blower is on/off randomly when I rely on the sensor. Re-locating that someplace warmer is on my to-do list.

Try bending the sensor bracket clips inward so that it presses against the stove more firmly.

I should have googled first. After this search: PE Summit Fan Sensor OR thermostat, I saw several posts that look worthwhile viewing.

Status
Not open for further replies.