Summit on a 15-16' chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burn-1

Feeling the Heat
Jul 13, 2006
Lakes Region, NH
We love our Vista as an evenings and weekends stove. But, I would like to get a little more heat and also some more sleep so I'm thinking of enlarging the hearth and putting in a Super 27 or maybe even a Summit.

My house is a ranch with an interior chimney which is 316Ti lined and insulated. The Vista drafts just fine and I get virtually no spillout when I open the door.

I think the Super 27 would be OK but would the Summit be too much stove for a smaller chimney?

The Summit works fine with a 6" flue. We have the T6 on about 20' of 6" flue. No smoke spillage unless it is quite mild outside and conditions are just right. If the connection is straight up off the stove with no elbows I think it will work ok. If not, add a couple feet of pipe.

But a Summit and 30NC? Seems like a huge amount of btus to heat 1800 sq ft. The Summit sounds like overkill. If the goal is longer burns, the Super27 will do it. It has exceptionally long burn times.

Ah, that makes a big difference. Now I see why you are eying a Summit. Go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.