Summit question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill C

Nov 27, 2014
North Central Arkansas
We have decided on the PE Summit to replace our old stove. Never used an EPA non cat before.
I'm wanting to get info on the flue temps that you guys see on these stoves. Can I expect higher or lower flue temps.
My old cat stove runs cooler than stove top. I'm curious on what to expect.

Do you measure internal or external temps with your flue thermometer?

Ok, outside of single wall pipe is roughly half the internal flue gas temperature. The stovetop should run somewhere between 600 F and 700 F. If your thermometer would show that you would have temps above 1000 F which is not recommended. As a first guess I would say you should see around 300 F to 400 F on your flue thermometer after closing the air. However, it depends a lot on operation, draft, dryness of wood etc. what the actual temps will be. No installation will behave exactly the same.

Ok, outside of single wall pipe is roughly half the internal flue gas temperature. The stovetop should run somewhere between 600 F and 700 F. If your thermometer would show that you would have temps above 1000 F which is not recommended. As a first guess I would say you should see around 300 F to 400 F on your flue thermometer after closing the air. However, it depends a lot on operation, draft, dryness of wood etc. what the actual temps will be. No installation will behave exactly the same.
Well the old stove is running at 325 flue right now, the stove top is 450. Cat temp is close to 850.
Like I was saying, I'm trying to get an idea how it will react compared to what I see on the old stove. Thanks

You were say stove top temps at 600-700... Is that pretty much the standard running temp for the summit.

Does it run cooler top temps after shutting air down?

Any operating tips on the summit will be helpful. Haven't needed a new stove in a lot of years. Took a bit to get use to running this old cat. I'm sure the new summit will be the same.
I appreciate any tips you can throw my way....

You can run the Summit at cooler stove top temps, particularly with a partial load of wood. When less heat is required burn 4-5 medium sized splits. The stove top temp will be more like 500-600F.

I think my biggest concern is when I will fill it up and shut down for overnight burn.
I'm at a disadvantage on the overnight burn. Any suggestions on that would be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.