Summit smoke from door when loading

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1

I have a question for you summit owners, If I open the door to add some wood smoke will roll out the door, if I open slowly, better. Pipe is clean and no damper in the pipe. However the pipe goes from 6 in to 8 in within 24 inches. I have tried opening the air control lever, but nothing. Thanks Tim Oh, Love this stove!!!!!

It's a great stove. Glad you like it. Describe the entire flue system from the stove top to the chimney cap including any elbows or tees and include the height too.

That 8" pipe is diminishing your draft. Sounds like you are adding wood a few splits at a time, and opening to reload before it is all down to coal stage.
Load that puppy up and let it burn for a good 10-12 hours or so, then reload with another full load when it is in the coal stage with just enough coals to get the new load going.
I just loaded up after 12 hours, had a good size split in coal stage and some ends in the the back of other splits still in coal stage. I left the big on on the side there and pulled the other bigger coals over in front of it(all to one side now), left plenty on the rest of the floor of the stove, and reloaded, goo for another 10-12 hours. No smoke as they are all coal. Never really have any smoke problems when opening the door unless it is a cold stove and just getting going. My bet is on the 8" piping slowing down the draft.

Also check your cap if it has a screen to make sure it ain't clogged or semi clogged.
Also wait a 1/2 minute or so after opening the air lever, and slowly open the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.