Summit stove glowing yikes!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still running the AC and swimming laps at night here in Central VA. Just put a cover on one of the wood stacks last weekend.

north of 60 said:
Every stove will have a problem loading it up with small twigs
False A properly air tight CAT does not have a problem burning twigs. THey should not over fire unless there is an uncotrollable air leak. Turn the stat down, flame goes out Cat lights up. Unless a CAT is not clasified as a stove. Which I think it is. :exclaim:

I tell ya what. Stuff that Blaze King full of little pieces of wood, get it up to cat light off temp and shut the air down and see what happens.

The number in Canada is 911 just like it is here.

In the fall all the small twiggs go in the stove from our bush. Light it up get the cat active and shut er down. Never had a problem. In 20 minutes you can hold your hands on the double wall stove pipe 4 feet up. & Iam an honest man. AND 911 isnt in our area.

Sounds like a Blaze King is one tight, highly controllable wood stove and that I was talking out of school on this one (probably not a surprise to anybody). I would love to see one of those stoves in action.

JFK said:
Hogwildz said:
Put some larger splits & rounds in that thing and just a few small splits.
Also make sure your door is adjusted, which is not done at factory. If you don't adjust the door, it will run like a freight train, and you won't be able to control the fire.
Hog,
Can you tell me(us) how to adjust the door, I am sure you have said what to do but I am too lazy to look
Thanks fellow Summit owner

Here ya go, read this thread, theres others also.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/8943/

I didn't think any stove was completely air tight. I was under the assumption that all had a stop point set by manufacturer that lets a lil air in.

Hogwildz said:
I didn't think any stove was completely air tight. I was under the assumption that all had a stop point set by manufacturer that lets a lil air in.
Yes this is true But where the air enters is key & how much. When the stat is up , the main air is fed down past the secondary burn area and to the base of the fire. When the stat is turned down, 100% of the air to the base of the fire shut off by the stat damper which puts the flame out. The fixed amount of minimum air is fed directly to the cat that helps burn the smoke and hot gases that are available. Since the main fire has been choked down, less hot gases will be available therefore the catalytic calms down and takes control. When the stove is first turned down, the cat temp actually goes up for a period. When the stat senses that the stove is below setpoint, the damper starts to open a little bit, embers start to glow which makes more smoke and gas and feeds the cat and the cat runs hotter. If the stat is turned up to 50% or higher a flame will finally be present on the upper half of the stove and at the base at a 100%. If the stat was constantly left at 50%, you would see the secondary flame alternate off and on from the cat to the top of the stove to maintain a steady temperature. This is why this type of stove will not overfire filled to the brim with small items. So there is constant air fed to the cat but it can only burn what it is fed from the base of the stove by the thermostat positioning to 100% tight shut-off damper. Hope this clarifies anymore septicism of my earlier comments. Possibly the BlazeKing rep on this site (if he reads this) can concur as I studied this $3000 stove prior to purchasing it. Thanx N of 60 :coolcheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.