Summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishercat

Oct 13, 2006
New Brunswick
Just a quick question from the Summit owners. I did a search but couldn't really find a sure answer. After you get the Summit to the right operating temperature and you turn it down does the air controler have to be turned all the way down to low for the EBT to work or will it work at 1/4 or 1/8. I don't seem to get secondary burn for very long when I turn it to the lowest point but if I put it to the 1/8 point it works great.

fishercat said:
Just a quick question from the Summit owners. I did a search but couldn't really find a sure answer. After you get the Summit to the right operating temperature and you turn it down does the air controler have to be turned all the way down to low for the EBT to work or will it work at 1/4 or 1/8. I don't seem to get secondary burn for very long when I turn it to the lowest point but if I put it to the 1/8 point it works great.

Yes it will work at 1/4 or 1/8 . It will work when ever it needs to work(temp drops low enough)

Your "air" setting will depend on many things, most importantly your chimney. It may be with your setup 1/8 works best, thats fine. Also colder weather and a full load of wood on a bed of coals and things change.

Not everyone can run with the air closed all the way... In my case I can because I have 24ft of pipe and it is inside the house.

Thanks for the information. The weather isn't really that cold here so I'm trying to burn off the new smell for the stove. It seems like I have to go to about 1/8 0f the draft before it works good. This may change after the weather gets colder. The stove works great and keeps the house very warm. Hardly wait till it gets cold. I had some circulation problems getting the heat up stairs last year but this year I installed a ceiling fan in the stairs going up to the main level seems to be working better now although I won't know much until it gets colder. Thanks again

If you have a good draft you will get good secondary burns closing it all the way and letting the EBT do the work. I had 12 foot of pipe and the EBT did not work very well. Now I have 15 feet of pipe (the amount the specs call for) and what a difference! I wait until I have some hot coals and I shut her down......The Summit is such a very impressive stove with the correct draft and good seasoned wood. Just yesterday I still had coals (now not great coals but still warm coals) from putting just two rounds on some good coals 10 hours ago, pretty damn impressive in my book. I have no problem getting a good overnight burn with a couple of splits and rounds for the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.