Sump pump updates - Battery Backup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jharkin

Minister of Fire
Oct 21, 2009
Holliston, MA USA
So in the previous post I detailed all the improvements I'm dong with the sump pump system. We have had rain bad enough to overwhelm the main pump, so even with a generator I wanted a backup.

I was looking for a battery backup that would:

- have as much or more capacity than a 1/3hp AC pump
- have at least an 8hr run time so if we lost power while at work I dont have to rush home to start the generator
- Recharge in a less than a day
- Be able to run on AC or DC so it can also kick in to help the AC pump or if the AC pump fails
- not cost thousands of $

I looked at a lot of options, including homebrewing my own system with a boat bilge pump and a big battery. In the end I settled on the Basement Watchdog Big dog system as it would do everything a homebrew would but cost less. And it has all kinds of automated failure monitoring options (batery, pump, etc test) built in.

Verdict - It works very well, and has good capacity. But there is one major flaw. They use a flooded deep cycle ( i think its aobut 140Ah) and their built in charging controller is just a dumb bulk charger. The battery is always powering the system and they monitor it and when it drops to 12.3 VDC under load it gets a 20amp top off charge. They rate te pump for AC operation because the pump load is 12 amps so the charger can feed it and still keep the battery full.

I can see why many users complain the batteries only last 2-3 years. Since they are only occasionally bulk charging the battery is often sitting in a partial discharge, and never gets a good equalization - so the batteries are probably sulfating. If they just spend the couple extra bucks and add a real 3 stage charger (bulk->absorption->float) and keep the battery on a 13v trickle all the time they would probably get 7-10 years life. I had a conversation with their tech support who tried to tell me that only maintenance free batteries need 3 stage charging so either they dont have a clue or are happy to sell more batteries.

Anyway, I will be disconnecting the battery once every couple months for an equalization charge on a good 12v charge controller. Anybody out there who has one of these systems I suggest you do the same.

IF I were to do it all again I would homebrew instead and setup a DC bilge pump (Rule, etc), with a big Group 4 or group 8 AGM battery and a GOOD lead acid charge control/power supply like the kind that off grid folks use (Something from Iota Engineering or Powermax for example). All of this might cost close to a grand and lack all the alarms, etc but would last a lot longer and probably more reliable.

59708_10200563422757704_2022965588_n.jpg

Jeremy,

I went for the one size smaller 'Watchdog' unit, (my max gpm is lower) and have a similar opinion about the battery charger. I 'like' the low battery water alarm feature....but I had it go off after ~9mos, and the battery took 4 cups of water! This is amazing to me (in a bad way).

I have played with the idea of wiring in a small float charger (I already own) maybe with a low R resistor (to keep it from bucking the Dog charger), or triggering its alarms. Based on your description, if I can float the battery, the Dog charger will never run (on standby). Or am I missing something? Have you tried this already??

EDIT: of course, my charger might be different from yours.

I think when their battery water alarm goes off the water level is probably almost down to the plates. I'm going to just look at it monthly. Note that I did a hydrometer test on this battery 'charged' and the cells read from 1.225 to 1.250. So this thing definitely needs to be equalized, and hope that's all.

I did some research and the cheapest chargers I can find with good reviews that have the option for a real equalization/desulfate cycle seem to be the noco genius line.

As far as paralleling a battery minder, I asked their tech and he told me it would damage the controller. I don't know if I have the skill to reverse engineer this thing to figure out if that's really true. So I'm going to rig up a quick disconnect to plug it into the external charter once a month without undoing everything.

One other thing I did was wire in a cigarette lighter socket, so in a short power outage we can use it to recharge phones,etc.

So I finally and time to disconnect the battery and let it charge on the noco genious charger. It ran for 5 hours! before it finished and topped off a bit over 13v. Higher than the BWD ever charged it to. NOw the hydrometer readings are varying from 1.240 to 1.250.

So it still needs an equalization but is in a bit better shape. And I dont think the BWD charges it much more than 85% full :(

Very disappointing :(

Status
Not open for further replies.