Sundance Lisa Marie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is an old pre-EPA stove. Likely 1979 model year. Sundance ceased production in 1985.
I doubt you will find any reviews on that old gal.
You may want to consider something newer and EPA approved. Otherwise, your going to go through a lot of wood.

http://www.ugene.net/lisa_marie.htm

It is an old pre-EPA stove. Likely 1979 model year. Sundance ceased production in 1985.
I doubt you will find any reviews on that old gal.
You may want to consider something newer and EPA approved. Otherwise, your going to go through a lot of wood.

http://www.ugene.net/lisa_marie.htm
Thanks, I thought of another question, given the age of this stove. Is insurance a problem for people using old non-EPA stoves in California? I know EPA standards have to do with air quality, not sure about their application to issues of fire safety. That seems to be a question of installation clearances and hearth R values. Any help will be appreciated. I guess I need to call my insurance broker for specifics.

Not sure on Cali laws, but I do know in Oregon & Washington, these stoves are not allowed for resale to an extent.
Safety codes would follow the manufacturers specs, if available via manual or possibly online somewhere. Or default to the standard requirements for undocumented stoves. BeGreen or another mod would know what those specs are better than I, and those specs are a considerable distance to combustibles over today's modern stove clearances.
As far as insurance, you would have to call your carrier and see what they require. Different ins. co's have different views & requirements.
EPA standards are for air quality, nothing to do with safety as far as I am aware, but safety should certainly be considered also.

If your insurance company requires the stove to be UL certified, then it will need to have a UL testing label on the back. Clearances for uncertified stoves are 36" in all directions, but they can be reduced with proper wall shielding to 12".

Thanks for all the good info. Now I am asking for advice on a hearth plan for this old stove. My insurance is OK. EPA is not an issue. I have a 10 acre forest, so wood is not an issue. Still interested to find as much as I can about this stove. Finding an old manual would be great, if anyone knows a link or has a manual to give up. I have checked Ugene's website, but no help besides some photos of his stove line from the 80's. With all that said I am now preparing to build a hearth and put in a chimney/flue for this stove. If you have any knowledge of these Sundance stoves, it is a finely crafted steel plate welded box with 2 small ceramic glass doors, fire bricks, a top 6 inch flue and one damper in the bottom. It is on short legs, about 5 inches. I plan to locate it in a corner in a wood frame one story building with attic space under the peaked roof and basement crawl space under the floor. I will build a new floor of metal joists and walls of metal studs to provide space for rockwool insulation and air movement behind and blow the walls and floor of the hearth through vents. Hearth floor will be 4 inch thick cobblestones set in mortar and grouted. Walls will be cement board over the metal studs with rock attached to the wallboard. Vents will be placed along the floor and at top and bottom of walls for airflow. The clearance I expect to be able to use is 12 inches from sides of the stove to walls (actually stove rear corners to walls) due to the non-combustible walls and floor I am building. R value should be 3.5 to 4.5 with the materials, airflow and spacing. The rear of the stove will be 24 inches from the deepest corner. The hearth will have 18 inches free stone between the doors and front edge. I plan to shore my floor joists with 2 pairs of sandwiched 2x8 beams perpendicular to joists set on posts and concrete piers in the crawl space. One beam will be placed under the midpoint of the stove and the other placed 4 feet in front of the stove. I welcome all opinions and advice about this plan. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.