Sunday afternoon Craigslist score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btj1031

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2008
NH
So I've been sitting on 4 cord of nicely seasoning wood since April. I think it will get me through the winter, but I check Craigslist religiously to see if there are any deals to be had. If the price is right, I'll grab it so that I have a little more heading into the winter, just in case. Lately it seems like ~$250 cord for green C/S/D. Yesterday I saw someone asking $140/cord you pick up, and it was in the next town over. Long story short, the guy is 15 miles away, over the river and through the woods, and he's just dropping some trees in his back yard. He says its to put in a garage, I think he's just looking for some cash on the side, which I can't blame him for. I filled my pickup with a very tight 65 cubic feet, and gave him $70. A mix of maple, oak, and hickory. Most cut to around 20", and a lot of it under 5" diameter. A few very nice big rounds of oak and hickory. He said he'd have another pickup load on Wednesday. I think I'm going to have to go for round two, what do you think?

$250/cord for green ? I think I might have my guy bring few more loads of dry for $200 before he jumps his price.

Here's a pic of the wood I picked up. About 8 or so of the rounds on the bottom right are from a maple I cut up on my property - wind took it down, it was rotting in the center from something. The rest is what I picked up from Craigslist. I ended up going back for a second load, and payed $115 total. With the rounds I already had, its better than a cord. Conservative measurement is 16 feet by 5.5 feet. by 18 inches, but a lot of it is 20+ inches. So, my cost was about $140/cord when the stuff I had is accounted for. Worth the effort, and the guy I bought from was a character.

Attachments

• Scrounged Wood.JPG
    Scrounged Wood.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 303
Status
Not open for further replies.