Sunday afternoon score....pic heavy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brogan007

Burning Hunk
Logging crew clearing a new subdivision a mile from my farm. Asked the boss for any spare wood...he had 3 tall oaks with deer stands in them. They wouldn't touch them...called it "iron wood" due to the climbing spikes in the wood. said if I could drop them, they were mine. Decided to play it safe and pull them, so there was no chance of dropping one on his equipment. High winds that day. This is my photo story. I had a lot of fun.

Attachments

• 2nd one down.jpg
    2nd one down.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 796
  • Climbing spike.jpg
    Climbing spike.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 776
  • Gotta avoid the chipper.jpg
    Gotta avoid the chipper.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 788
  • Gotta avoid the Tigercat.jpg
    Gotta avoid the Tigercat.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 783
  • On target.jpg
    On target.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 780
Second half of pics

Attachments

• How I haul wood.jpg
    How I haul wood.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 788
  • This is the way to move logs.jpg
    This is the way to move logs.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 786
  • Ok cut.jpg
    Ok cut.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 782
  • Iron wood.jpg
    Iron wood.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 852
  • Final tally...3 cords.jpg
    Final tally...3 cords.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 788
SAWEEEEEET!! hey, if yer careful you can cut and split those billets with the steps in them, and when you run them through the stove you will eventually get yerself some free deer stand steps!! :coolgrin: Seriously, great score bro.....lots of good BTU's in that pile! And trust me, those BTU's feel much better when you get them yerself and they are FREE.....

Great score.... Looks like 2.5 cords. Let us know what it pans out to be.

L

I would try to get the steps out with the spltter if possible. Not sure I would trust them after they went through the fire. I have at least 200 steps like that but a dozen or so more never hurts. Like fire wood - just cannot have enough treestands

Nice score

That is one sweet saw buck. Nice score too.

Great score.
White oak, one of the best :)
Nice trailer !

Found both the trailer and the skid steer on CraigsList. Used the "app" on my phone to alert me as soon as the ad posted...was first guy on the scene both times.
The trailer was a steal at $1500. Have sandblasted and painted the chasis, hope to keep it years.

Attachments

• Dump trailer.jpg
    Dump trailer.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 555
Nice score brogan. Of course the best part of the pics I noticed was the orange saw. :)
I use the Craigslist app as well when I'm looking for something.

How does the F150 do with the dump trailer loaded? What does the trailer weigh empty? I have the same truck but have the 5.0L and am considering going to a bigger trailer.

Great equipment and great score! Congrats! Cheers!

Awesome equiment......Great Score!

Brogan007 said:
Second half of pics

Nice score Brogan007, nice find on the equipment. I was just northwest of Raleigh last April 16th (hope that is correct) when the 32 tornadoes hit, went north & south of us so we lucked out.

Nice part of the country you live in.

Zap

$1500 for that trailer? Wow. I never see anything like that for less than 4 grand...and those may have been in an accident or left to rust for a decade.

Great equipment and score...thanks for sharing.

Nice score and nice work Brogan007. I like the grapple. Those are handy. Is that your skidsteer?

good job. Never hurts to ask!

Brogan007 said:
Found both the trailer and the skid steer on CraigsList. Used the "app" on my phone to alert me as soon as the ad posted...was first guy on the scene both times.
The trailer was a steal at $1500. Have sandblasted and painted the chasis, hope to keep it years.
Brogan, I want to see the 40ton homemade splitter.

Trailer belonged to a guy who moved here from Detroit...brought down all his stuff in it, quite clever I thought. He was glad to get down here, our economy is ok-ish. However, since it'd been used for 4 yrs up there...the underside was really rusty. Got it sandblasted for $190, then sprayed it myself. Empty...I guess...it weighs around 2000? The F-150 does pull it....but sometimes I feel I'm killing her. I deliver loads of horse manure....these seem ok. But after we cleaned out our pond last summer & I sell loads of that silt/sand......I reckon 4 tons of sand/load.....it's really too much for a F-150. I "farm plated" them, so I'm covered with the law...I hope.
Yes, the skidsteer is mine. $10k with 1400 hrs on it, 1997 year. I LOVE the thing. So much fun to drive. Wife allowed me to get it when I promised I'd move all the silt from the pond....It might take 3 yrs...but I'll do it. The construction forums all have great things to say about the Case 1845c. No frills, but it sure works!
The grapple's a real "back-saver".

You may have got some oak but you also got some ash. Good for you for getting this wood too.

Status
Not open for further replies.