Sunday Morning Burn-Along

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Gasifier said:
Yeah they do look a bit dark, but they are definitely not pressure treated.
Sorry. I can't find it. We don't have a smiley for a big sigh of relief. Um, new smiley please. Anyone? Help.

food-smiley-012.gif

Where do you get these little dudes Dix? And wait a minute. What is that suppose to mean. :lol:

Gasifier said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Gasifier said:
Yeah they do look a bit dark, but they are definitely not pressure treated.
Sorry. I can't find it. We don't have a smiley for a big sigh of relief. Um, new smiley please. Anyone? Help.

food-smiley-012.gif

Where do you get these little dudes Dix? And wait a minute. What is that suppose to mean. :lol:

I steal them :coolsmile:

That is a good smiley. I think the Blue Light in the brown bottle I am drinking right now inspired my new thread in The Inglenook. I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. Oh, keep thievin! (Is that how you spell that? )

Thanks for posting the pictures! I would say it looks pretty close to what i burn. I sometimes stacking the stove with wood and get 3hr burn times, but ending with some nice coals. I wish some of the more seasoned folks around here could do a similar picture sequence. I'm interested in what a 7+ hour burn times look like. Having lit up the stove a bunch of times, i can't for the life of me see how I can keep flames going for over 3 hours and not play around with the primary air.

Hankjones said:
Thanks for posting the pictures! I would say it looks pretty close to what i burn. I sometimes stacking the stove with wood and get 3hr burn times, but ending with some nice coals. I wish some of the more seasoned folks around here could do a similar picture sequence. I'm interested in what a 7+ hour burn times look like. Having lit up the stove a bunch of times, i can't for the life of me see how I can keep flames going for over 3 hours and not play around with the primary air.

You and me both!

A seven hour burn is a pile of red coaling wood. No matter what stove you have. Little stove, little pile. Big stove, big pile.

You are not going to have a stove load of wood burning seven hours later like it was the first couple of hours. There are stages of the burn. First the wood gives off the gases and burns like the fires of hell. Next the fibers burn. Next it is a hot pile of coals that burn hot with no flames for a long time.

Burn time ain't flame time. It is heating time.

BrotherBart said:
A seven hour burn is a pile of red coaling wood. No matter what stove you have. Little stove, little pile. Big stove, big pile.

You are not going to have a stove load of wood burning seven hours later like it was the first couple of hours. There are stages of the burn. First the wood gives off the gases and burns like the fires of hell. Next the fibers burn. Next it is a hot pile of coals that burn hot with no flames for a long time.

Burn time ain't flame time. It is heating time.

I've only had my cat stove part of last year and this. Especially last year I had to make myself resist the urge to stir the pot and get some FLAME going in there. Somewhere along the line I realized that it didn't have to look like the BOH (maybe we should add the bowels of hell to the dictionary thread) to put out lots of heat. Old habits are hard to break and for most of us the old habits were formed with the smoke dragons of yore. Pile on the wood, pour the air to it and let it rip. THAT was how you got a lot of heat. In fact that was the only way I could get a lot of heat..

Still poke at it more than I should though because, well I just like to poke at the fire. %-P

With a non-cat ya still don't want to let it smolder. But if your primary air setting kept it flaming for three hours then what happens next isn't smoldering. It is the coal stage doing what it is supposed to do. Staying hot and heating your house.

Status
Not open for further replies.