Sunday pellet search, found 8 brands, thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdege

Nov 15, 2011
Dover, NH
I went pellet hunting this morning since I was going to need a little more to get through the winter. Here is what I found on the NH seacoast:

Geneva
PWI
Vermont (softwood)
Curran (softwood)
Pennington
Maines Choice
Fireside
Natures Own

I bought 4 bags of each to burn later this winter as the advice I have seen throughout this site is to try a few bags and see what works in the stove. But am interested if people have a strong opinion about any of the above being an oops? You can be honest as I only bought 4 bags of each and there is little invested in any of the brands. As a piece of background to date I have only burned Green Supreme and Cleanfire Hardwood and have been happy with both (Cleanfire a little better in my opinion).

Thanks all for any input/opinions.

That is NOT a very impressive list of candidates, with the exception of the Vermonts, IMO. However, I don't know much about the PWI or Geneva's. The rest of them are poor, at best.....the Fireside and Maines Choice might be OK shoulder season pellets.

Reactions: Cedarjunki
IMO Penningtons and Natures are garbage. Never heard of the others.

Price always plays a part IMHO. How much were they going for?

From your list the Vermonts are tops. PWI is a decent pellet and the Geneva's were pretty good too.

Fireside and Natures Own are pretty much the same as Stove Chow made by Premier Pellet Co. which is basically an Energex sister company. Good shoulder season stuff if scored at a decent price. Carran softwoods were also not bad. Maine choice is a sister pellet to the Geneva's, But not as good. Should be OK for the shoulders season. Penningtons would have to be real cheap, Just haven't had any luck with them or heard much good from others on them either.

Not off to a good start, the positive is I do not expect to need these till March/April. I am holding out more hope for the Vermonts, PWIs, Currans & Geneva as the other were box store pellets. I am hope to learn two things 1) what will/will not burn well in my Harman Accentra insert and 2) Are the price differences worth it (the above range from $219/ton to $280/ton.

I burned almost a ton of the Northern Pellets during shoulder season, and was not impressed....they are just re-bagged Currans.

j-takeman said:

From your list the Vermonts are tops. PWI is a decent pellet and the Geneva's were pretty good too.

Fireside and Natures Own are pretty much the same as Stove Chow made by Premier Pellet Co. which is basically an Energex sister company. Good shoulder season stuff if scored at a decent price. Carran softwoods were also not bad. Maine choice is a sister pellet to the Geneva's, But not as good. Should be OK for the shoulders season. Penningtons would have to be real cheap, Just haven't had any luck with them or heard much good from others on them either.

The first four were just under $6/bag and the second four were just under $5/bag. First season so I think those are OK prices for a 4 bag test???

imacman said:
I burned almost a ton of the Northern Pellets during shoulder season, and was not impressed....they are just re-bagged Currans.

Those are the hardwood blends. The softwoods did have more heat in what I tried. Also a bit less ash. Somewhere maybe in the middle of the road for the softwoods. I'd still need to get them cheap. ;-)

jdege said:
j-takeman said:

The first four were just under $6/bag and the second four were just under $5/bag. First season so I think those are OK prices for a 4 bag test???

Per ton price is what you need to go by. Keep us posted on what brands you find exceptable.

i have been burning Geneva pellets used almost a ton and they havve been keeping my house warm . a lot of dust and a lot of ash have to clean my stove every 3 days. the heat output has been running 275 and no klinkers

jdege said:
I went pellet hunting this morning since I was going to need a little more to get through the winter. Here is what I found on the NH seacoast:

Geneva
PWI
Vermont (softwood)
Curran (softwood)
Pennington
Maines Choice
Fireside
Natures Own

I bought 4 bags of each to burn later this winter as the advice I have seen throughout this site is to try a few bags and see what works in the stove. But am interested if people have a strong opinion about any of the above being an oops? You can be honest as I only bought 4 bags of each and there is little invested in any of the brands. As a piece of background to date I have only burned Green Supreme and Cleanfire Hardwood and have been happy with both (Cleanfire a little better in my opinion).

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you probably got the first 4 on your list at H&H in Hampton Falls?? I was extremely impressed with the Vermonts in my Harman. A bit too pricey for me but I'm definitely going to get some when they have their Spring Sale.

j-takeman said:
jdege said:
j-takeman said:

Per ton price is what you need to go by. Keep us posted on what brands you find exceptable.

First 4 $269/ton and the second four around $220/ton. Will be a bit before I start to burn as I am in the middle of a ton of Cleanfire Hardwood, but I will let you know.

Harman Lover 007 said:
jdege said:

Geneva
PWI
Vermont (softwood)
Curran (softwood)
Pennington
Maines Choice
Fireside
Natures Own

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you probably got the first 4 on your list at H&H in Hampton Falls?? I was extremely impressed with the Vermonts in my Harman. A bit too pricey for me but I'm definitely going to get some when they have their Spring Sale.

You are correct H&H in Hampton Falls and I plan to hit that same sale. Hopefully these 4 bag tests will give some insight on what is worth it come the sale.

jdege said:
Harman Lover 007 said:
jdege said:

Geneva
PWI
Vermont (softwood)
Curran (softwood)
Pennington
Maines Choice
Fireside
Natures Own

You are correct H&H in Hampton Falls and I plan to hit that same sale. Hopefully these 4 bag tests will give some insight on what is worth it come the sale.

I'm interested in the performance of the others you got there if you wouldn't mind a followup post at some point.....

jdege said:
j-takeman said:
jdege said:
j-takeman said:

First 4 $269/ton and the second four around $220/ton. Will be a bit before I start to burn as I am in the middle of a ton of Cleanfire Hardwood, but I will let you know.

If a cold snap comes? I'd be cleaning and tossing in those Vermonts. I'd bet you'd be surprised with them. ;-)

If we get a good cold snap I do want to try the two softwoods (clean every Sat) and warm weather after the ton I am into will be a chance to use the others and save the last ton of Cleanfire.

I will post when I burn any as to my impression.

jdege said:

Geneva
PWI
Vermont (softwood)
Curran (softwood)
Pennington
Maines Choice
Fireside
Natures Own

#1 Vermont Softies
#2 PWI's (Logik-E's)
#3 Curran softies....not the blended junk
#4 Geneva's (ashy)
The rest is cat litter or ice traction material.

Branson4720 said:
#1 Vermont Softies
#2 PWI's (Logik-E's)
#4 Geneva's (ashy)

I have experience burning the Vermonts, PWIs & Curran softies as well and would also place them in that exact order for preference.

Branson4720 said:
jdege said:

Geneva
PWI
Vermont (softwood)
Curran (softwood)
Pennington
Maines Choice
Fireside
Natures Own

#1 Vermont Softies
#2 PWI's (Logik-E's)
#4 Geneva's (ashy)

My question is if your opinion of the last four is based on burning experience or what you have seen posted? I ask because I checked out the site woodpelletreviews.com which I believe is written by a member of this site and some people had good experiences with some of the second 4. Just curious.

Thanks

jdege said:
Branson4720 said:
jdege said:

Geneva
PWI
Vermont (softwood)
Curran (softwood)
Pennington
Maines Choice
Fireside
Natures Own

#1 Vermont Softies
#2 PWI's (Logik-E's)
#4 Geneva's (ashy)

My question is if your opinion of the last four is based on burning experience or what you have seen posted? I ask because I checked out the site woodpelletreviews.com which I believe is written by a member of this site and some people had good experiences with some of the second 4. Just curious.

Thanks

My opinions are based on actual burning experience....all of those within the last 2 or 3 seasons. This is my 17th season burning pellets, and I take it very seriously......my wife says too seiously sometimes! ;-P

Branson4720 said:
jdege said:
Branson4720 said:
jdege said:

Geneva
PWI
Vermont (softwood)
Curran (softwood)
Pennington
Maines Choice
Fireside
Natures Own

#1 Vermont Softies
#2 PWI's (Logik-E's)
#4 Geneva's (ashy)

Thanks

My opinions are based on actual burning experience....all of those within the last 2 or 3 seasons. This is my 17th season burning pellets, and I take it very seriously......my wife says too seiously sometimes! ;-P

Cool, thanks for the quick reply. All I can say is I am less than $20 in to each of those brands and worse case is if the first bag is that bad in the stove the rest get burned in the firepit while camping this summer :)

j-takeman said:

Fireside and Natures Own are pretty much the same as Stove Chow made by Premier Pellet Co. which is basically an Energex sister company. Good shoulder season stuff if scored at a decent price. Carran softwoods were also not bad. Maine choice is a sister pellet to the Geneva's, But not as good. Should be OK for the shoulders season.
From the Geneva co. Web site

"Geneva Wood Fuels is a producer of hardwood pellet fuel for residential and commercial use. Our residential pellet fuel can be found at independent retailers and select chains throughout the Northeast........
Geneva currently produces and markets the Maine's Choice and Geneva Wood Pellets brands of residential hardwood pellet fuel. Both brands are rapidly becoming two of the most recognized and respected brands of hardwood pellets in the Northeast.
Click here to learn more about our production process and quality assurance measures."

so is correct to say Maine choice and Geneva are from the same company, but the Geneva is all hardwood vs the mixed wood Maine Choice?

I would buy Firesides, my latest batch(11-11) is excellent and a great value. I also would buy Vermonts based solely on reputation, but I have not tried them. I have burned Penningtons and Genevas. The others I cannot comment on.

jdege said:
Branson4720 said:
jdege said:
Branson4720 said:
jdege said:

Geneva
PWI
Vermont (softwood)
Curran (softwood)
Pennington
Maines Choice
Fireside
Natures Own

#1 Vermont Softies
#2 PWI's (Logik-E's)
#4 Geneva's (ashy)

Thanks

Cool, thanks for the quick reply. All I can say is I am less than $20 in to each of those brands and worse case is if the first bag is that bad in the stove the rest get burned in the firepit while camping this summer :)

Be careful.....The Nature's Own may smother the firepit!! :bug: I hated them......Miracle Grow potting soil probably burns better ( the one with ''Moisture Control" beads) :exclaim:

jdege said:
Branson4720 said:
jdege said:
Branson4720 said:
jdege said:

Geneva
PWI
Vermont (softwood)
Curran (softwood)
Pennington
Maines Choice
Fireside
Natures Own

#1 Vermont Softies
#2 PWI's (Logik-E's)
#4 Geneva's (ashy)

Thanks

I respect Branson4720 pellet opinions and we have many of the same likes. He has good taste in what he feeds his stove. But consider these as opinions and always best to see what yours are too. Many factors(price include) and the big one is what your willing to pay. One mans junk is another treasure. Again nothin against Branson4720 pellet choices, I just can't afford to fill my whole stash with the good stuff he likes. I'd have to supplement mine with some cheapier stuff for the shoulders. But thats just my opinion, as many don't skimp at all.

Only pellets my stove considers cat litter or ice traction material is the Inferno's and maybe ACP's. But I'll burn them if scored really really cheap! Of coarse only in the warmer part of the season. I would need something with more heat for the cold. Call me a bit fruggle I guess!

Glad your trying them out for yourself. First Hand knowledge is always the best. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.