Sunday Scrounge.....210 year old Beech

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that would suck....and the growth rings don't lie!

That is a stud of a beech ! I cut and burn a lot of beech, pretty thick in my area in wv. The beech bark disease is putting a hurting on them around here though.

Had a couple BIG beech logs delivered in the last load I got here.. the one was about 24" across. Didn't count the rings, but I still have a few rounds around here I've been using as seats..
I like beech a lot. Splits ok (the straight stuff splits easy.. knots are a groan), smells good, and burns really well.

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
I was working on a big cherry blow down the other day. It has been down for about 5 years and just sitting waiste high off the ground held up by the root ball. As I got closer to the root ball it slowly started to stand back up w every piece I took off. Finally it stood too tall for me to cut so I left that part for another day.

Reactions: heavy hammer
I think most of us have had something like that happen. Cleaned up a few locust trees that did the same thing to me when cutting. I lucked out having a excavator around the area to help out. Hope you get the rest of that cherry.

Status
Not open for further replies.