Sunday Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

liquidskin

Nov 7, 2014
NJ
I think Tulip Poplar? Some real monster logs..

a165bbfdb9600139770e14b91dcd38c0.jpg40fa9901f051b31718f03994d1c93bd5.jpg3c852aa9dd9cee723710deb6ef928085.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ash would be good news! How are you guys distinguishing the bark for ash vs. tulip?

Ash would be good news! How are you guys distinguishing the bark for ash vs. tulip?

I find it very hard to tell the difference on the big Tulip poplars.....what's the diameter of the log in the second picture? Reason I ask the growth rings look a little large for ash....I kinda see the BB hole.....when you split it you will know, bluish/purplish heartwood means Tulip poplar.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I find it very hard to tell the difference on the big Tulip poplars.....what's the diameter of the log in the second picture? Reason I ask the growth rings look a little large for ash....I kinda see the BB hole.....when you split it you will know, bluish/purplish heartwood means Tulip poplar.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

About 24" diameter in that pic. I did some splitting but didn't notice any unusual coloring, maybe I need to take another peek when it's light out.