Sunday Work - Willow and Birch I think...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katwillny

Got another great Craigslist lead today from a buddy. Picked up about 20 nice size rounds of Willow ( I know not the best but hey) and about 15 rounds of what appears to be White Birch. Can I get a confirmation on the Birch please. It has a lot of paper like bark just pealing off.
Also threw in a pic of the Willow.

Attachments

• wb.jpg
    wb.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 341
  • wb1.jpg
    wb1.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 332
  • birch.jpg
    birch.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 345
  • wil.jpg
    wil.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 404
Not the best pics of the birch, but looks to be yellow birch, but if the color is way off, then next guess is river birch. Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Not the best pics of the birch, but looks to be yellow birch, but if the color is way off, then next guess is river birch. Cheers!
Yea it got dark on me pretty quick splitting that stuff. Pics arent great, all i can say is that its got paper like bark all over it. Stuff is coming off with the wind.

Evaluator guy said:
sorry beagler, you beat me to the punch
guess I should read all the posts before I post.
my bad :red:

Im not sure if it is Willow, I only thought it was willow because i saw a lot of weeping willow trees in her property one of which look like it had had some big branches cut off and another was leaning. I could be wrong. Well there is still some more at that place so i am planning to stop by one day during the week on my way home from work.

Pretty sure it's cherry, & birch (but not sure the type of birch).
Birch is my "best stuff" here.
Nice score

That birch is good wood, I had a lot of it this year and it burned nice, catches quick and dries pretty fast too.

Looks a lot like yellow birch and cherry to me too . . . and there is a relatively easy way to tell . . . sniff the wood.

Evaluator guy said:
I'm thinking that looks like yellow birch to me. Sometimes called river birch. The bark makes great firestarter too. :)

nice job

chuck

Yellow and river are two distinct birch species - I've never heard of folks calling yellow birch 'river' birch. Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Evaluator guy said:
I'm thinking that looks like yellow birch to me. Sometimes called river birch. The bark makes great firestarter too. :)

nice job

chuck

Yellow and river are two distinct birch species - I've never heard of folks calling yellow birch 'river' birch. Cheers!

Isnt paper birch also a different species from yellow or white birch?

That first tree is River Birch, which is different from Yellow Birch. I have never seen Yellow Birch planted as an ornamental but River Birch is a common ornamental tree. I think as firewood River Birch is similar to White/Paper Birch (Yellow Birch is primo). River Birch has the extemely flaky bark you describe. The fourth picture is Black Cherry. I think these two will be about the same as firewood, and both will be fairly good.

weatherguy said:
NH_Wood said:
Evaluator guy said:

nice job

chuck

Isnt paper birch also a different species from yellow or white birch?

As indicated by Wood Duck, paper and white are two common names which refer to the same species (Betula papyrifera). Cheers!

Thanks guys. Its definitely Cherry. it was confirmed by the buddy who gave me the lead. Thanks, there is more there, its supposed to be 60 on wednesday so i will most likely head back and get another load.

Status
Not open for further replies.