Sunflower seed mode

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am burning Cubex and did last year when I tried this. They are hardwood.
I will give it another try over the weekend its suppose to get cold again.

oldmountvernon said:
3jfk said:
oldmountvernon said:
3jfk said:
oldmountvernon said:
guess im gonna have to waste a bag or 2 and test it out

Try it on lowest flame height/feed rate

i run it on high output -5 flame

So it will use more pellets on #5 high output, reduce output heat to #1 low. This adjustment also effects feed rate of pellets.

low will never heat my home to test i will have to run sunflower on #5 and softwood #5 to see the difference in pellet useage
Well, I thought that too, but I gotta tell ya that running sunflower on low and -5, my house temp is increasing 3.5 degrees in about a half hour to forty five minutes, and that is on the second floor the stove is on the first. it is definatelly hotter burning even using the lowest settings. I am gonna let it set this way for awhile and see how pellet usage goes. Only down turn I can see is that it is turning off and on more often using the ignitor more. The savings in pellets, if it is significant may be worth an occasional extra ignitor.

Gotta love the gimmicks all these stoves have, i got sunflower mode too, called crank it to a 3, open the damper, crank up the combustion speed in the + with a lil screwdriver

3jfk said:
The only change I see with the sunflower settings is more combustion air being blown through the burn pot...

Thats why I felt it was sending more heat out the exhaust.

Pellet-King said:
Gotta love the gimmicks all these stoves have, i got sunflower mode too, called crank it to a 3, open the damper, crank up the combustion speed in the + with a lil screwdriver

So your stove can burn low quality pellet,corn, cherry pits and wheat? Efficiently.

smoke this said:
Pellet-King said:

So your stove can burn low quality pellet,corn, cherry pits and wheat? Efficiently.

Testy are we? Can yours? :cheese:

j-takeman said:
smoke this said:
Pellet-King said:

Well when BC softwoods are <$200 theres no need to bother. :)

I have mixed corn that I received for free. ;-)

smoke this said:
j-takeman said:
smoke this said:
Pellet-King said:

Well when BC softwoods are <$200 theres no need to bother. :)

I have mixed corn that I received for free. ;-)

Never tried straight corn? Options JIC.

I tried them all in case things change and to see how the beast would handle them. Worked like a charm. But pellets are much cleaner. ;-)

oldmountvernon said:
i guess ill have to try corn before i feed it all to the deer

Sometimes feed corn has other stuff mixed with it.

Especially deer corn. Molasses is a big ingredient in deer corn.

just sayin.

smoke this said:
oldmountvernon said:
i guess ill have to try corn before i feed it all to the deer

Sometimes feed corn has other stuff mixed with it.

Especially deer corn. Molasses is a big ingredient in deer corn.

just sayin.

For once I can agree with this guy(green thing). Not recommended to burn deer corn. You want feed corn they feed livestock. No sugars added to gum things up! ;-)

smoke this said:
3jfk said:
The only change I see with the sunflower settings is more combustion air being blown through the burn pot...

Thats why I felt it was sending more heat out the exhaust.

Hi Smokey, Yes some of the extra heat will go out the exhaust. But the percentage of extra heat which radiates off the stove is a lot greater due to the exhaust ports being at the bottom of baffle plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.