Sunshine on the pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Real nice day in NJ today, perfect for catching up on the splitting. The pile is getting a real presence now. Pile is about 25 feet long. Time to turn it into a stack or two with the others.

Found a nice 5/16 diameter nail inside a piece of Oak with the splitter. They sound like a knot breaking, but have a different effect on the wedge! I will have to get the grinder onto the wedge tip next trip out to the pile.

Attachments

• tree23.jpg
    tree23.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 420
Looks like a nice dry day.
I figured NJ would have a mess with all the reported snow melting.
Very nice pile of fire wood. ;)

Sunny 15°f with 40 mph wind here. I'm, jealous, looks like short sleeve weather there. :)

The grass is always greener; I would love to be in your state for a while........
We hit 45 today. Things are a bit boggy with the thaw. I got caught with some firewood that I have been bucking on a property where the access is across the grass yard. Been cutting for a few days on and off, with plans to bring the truck/trailer to the pile once the foot+ of snow cleared a bit. We went from that snow to rain and 40s temperatures. Now it looks like a freeze of the ground will not come until next winter. Now I will have to wait for dry enough conditions to get to all that wood.

Kids were playing b'ball in shorts today, but that isn't always a reflection of mild temps!

Those are some BIG rounds you have there. Separates then men from the boys.

KC

They are pretty managable at that size. I can flip'm and roll'm to the splitter and get them split completely with just the arms and legs. Some of the other stuff I did earlier in the year took a shale bar to position under the splitter. More Red Oak that was another 10-12 inches in diameter. I guess it separates the men from the boys; except I am the only one out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.