1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

super 27 help please

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by new guy, Jun 10, 2013.

1. new guy

new guy New Member

Loc:
    the county, me
    Thanks for the info from you all, I bought a 2001 used super 27 with blower and gold door for $450. I was wondering if you can tell me if I have the new baffle and if not, is it worth upgrading they look the same to me so is it worth the $. Also, where should I check for cracks or anything else they are known for. Thanks again!

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. madison

madison Minister of Fire

Loc:
    41.33°N 74.18°W and 44.67°N 111.0°W
    From the limited view, looks pretty nice for a 2001 - firebrick etc looks lightly used.

The baffle may sag and warp - but I have not heard of cracks - and I would not be concerned even if it did crack. I've not noticed anyone commenting on upgraded/redesigned baffles - replacement could (good luck) be covered under warranty - but since you are not the original owner - it would make warranty replacement even more difficult. All warranty work goes thru your local dealer - so, make friends with them before attempting any type of warranty/repair issues.

FYI the baffle is very heavy, and cumbersome but not technically difficult to remove. Just pull the pin, put some gloves on, and expect to be maneuvering ~ 30 pounds (guess) over the side rails etc - quite a bit of fly ash can accumulate on top of the baffle, so expect to take a shower and house cleaning after the job.
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I agree, the interior looks in great shape. I wouldn't do anything. This is a tough stove. If the rest of the stove is in this condition it looks like you got a good deal. As far as I can tell from the picture, you should be good to burn.
  4. Dave A.

Dave A. Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    The threads on this site (and photos) that talked about a few members experience with cracks (the ones I saw anyway) were mostly Summits and one Pacific, I think, maybe one Super (not sure) didn't talk about cracks in the baffle. They were usually on the front top near the corners around the knife edge surrounding the door opening (as I recall). If you put a bright light inside the firebox and examine those areas on the outside (with the door open, as it would cover that area) would think that'd be a good way to check.

As I recall the problem stoves were ones mfr'd a few years later than yours.
  5. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    IIRC, they were all inserts as well.
  6. new guy

new guy New Member

Loc:
    the county, me
    Excellent, I thought it was ok. I watched a you tube video that mentions the updated baffle makes the stove more efficient but it appears to be the same thing other than its stainless. $330 to the door, I'll pass. Looking forward to firing it up this fall!!
  7. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The main ingredient that is going to make a difference in this (or any EPA) stove is going to be dry wood. Do you have a healthy stash already split and stacked?
  8. ddown

ddown Member

Loc:
    Middle of the Mitten, Michigan
    that reddish color indicates a stainless baffle you good to go
  9. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    For the record, the stainless baffle is reported to fire off at a lower temp, also.
  10. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    That looks fine to me... my PE is coming on 5, and looks similar.

My baffle fires off at about 350F.