Super Cedar Discount / Free Samples

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Carver, Ma has no data on weather.com. Here is plymouth vs middleboro. It appears that plymouth is warmer during the day but colder during the night. You seem to be inbetween these places.

Regardless, of the temp, I bet a few super cedars get used in Florida! I wonder which part of the country most of their sales go to?

pen

Attachments

• temp comparison.jpg
    temp comparison.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 320
fossil said:
raybonz said:
...What program did you use to make those graphs?...

http://www.weather.com/ Fiddle around on the site and sooner or later you'll figure it out.

Here's where I live:

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/97701

Thanx Rick!
It's colder in Oregon than I thought! I figured out how to graph my town but they don't have data for my location.. This town abuts mine too http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USMA0252 .. My temps seem much colder than the graphs indicate.. I recall a 2 week period that never rose to 32 with lows slightly below zero plus very windy.. Still cool to see the graphs!

Ray

raybonz said:
...It's colder in Oregon than I thought!...

Oregon's a big state, with some widely varying climate zones...most dramatically different are the "wet side" to the west of the Cascade range out to the Pacific, and the "dry side" east of the Cascades to Idaho. Two different worlds, weather-wise. I live east of the Cascades in the high desert. Contrast the graph I linked to one from Eugene or Portland and you'll see what I'm talking about. That page on the WeatherChannel site has a "compare" function that will display two zip codes on the same graph...pretty cool. Rick

About breaking up them Super Cedars. I break four or five at a time by leaving the plastic intact and cracking them on the edge of the kitchen counter top to quarter them. Then dump them in a coffee canister. The "dust" from the broken up ones are almost the best part. In the 24/7 season when you come down to reload in the morning you throw a half a hand full of that pixie dust on the coals and add the splits and you are off to the races in a heartbeat.

fossil said:
raybonz said:
...It's colder in Oregon than I thought!...

Oregon's a big state, with some widely varying climate zones...most dramatically different are the "wet side" to the west of the Cascade range out to the Pacific, and the "dry side" east of the Cascades to Idaho. Two different worlds, weather-wise. I live east of the Cascades in the high desert. Contrast the graph I linked to one from Eugene or Portland and you'll see what I'm talking about. That page on the WeatherChannel site has a "compare" function that will display two zip codes on the same graph...pretty cool. Rick

I see what you mean.. The lows are nearly identical but Portland gets much warmer! In Bend, Or. the temps are nearly flat with little contrast between high and low.. Lots different here and for you too.. In western Mass it gets much colder than here too.. I think I'd prefer the cold as we tend to get the wet heavy snow.. Hard stuff to handle!

Ray

BrotherBart said:
About breaking up them Super Cedars. I break four or five at a time by leaving the plastic intact and cracking them on the edge of the kitchen counter top to quarter them. Then dump them in a coffee canister. The "dust" from the broken up ones are almost the best part. In the 24/7 season when you come down to reload in the morning you throw a half a hand full of that pixie dust on the coals and add the splits and you are off to the races in a heartbeat.

Tom must have boxes of that dust getting swept off the floor every day. New sales idea? :)

pen

tickbitty said:
I'm reviewing the choices for my next supercedar purchase... tempted to "go green" with the no-wrapper kind but I don't know, I kinda like how the plastic wrapper contains the crumbs when I break the disk up. Anyone have any comments on the wrapper or lack thereof? Thanks!

We have the ones with no label. I like to just break it into quarters.....before unwrapping. Makes it much easier and less messy. No mess at all.

Used up two more of the Magical Gainsburgers this past weekend . . . had some friends down camping in my yard (those of you going to Woodstock will most likely meet one of those friends) and it was a bit drizzly Friday night and a good portion of the day on Saturday . . . using Super Cedars cut into quarters with my chop saw resulted in very easy starting fires.

I also ended up using a Super Cedar to get my Swedish Inside Out candles going . . . although I also had to add some charcoal lighter fluid later on . . . due to the fact I was using semi-seasoned wood dropped off by one of my other friends.

Jake, why are you using a saw to cut the super cedars? They will break into quarters pretty easy just using 2 hands. I break them before I open the package and it works pretty nice.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jake, why are you using a saw to cut the super cedars? They will break into quarters pretty easy just using 2 hands. I break them before I open the package and it works pretty nice.

I have delicate hands. ;)

Actually I did this just to make it nice and neat.

Typical fireman?!

firefighterjake said:
Backwoods Savage said:

But were you standing, or sitting?

BrotherBart said:
firefighterjake said:
Backwoods Savage said:

LOL I heard he splits these vertically while sitting on a milk crate.. Dennis would be proud! :)

Ray

Ya, someday Jake will make us all proud too.

BrotherBart said:
firefighterjake said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Standing up . . . but since I was using the chop saw it was a vertical cut, not horizontal. No milk crates were used in this process. :)

Split the first super cedar I have used in about 4 years last night. I could have just split it on the edge of the cold stove but since there was a milk crate in the corner I decided I'd use it's edge as homage to Dennis. :coolsmile:

Last time I used one it was the freebie Tom spent. It went into the old fisher stove and worked well. However, that thing was virtually fool proof w/ the door dampers when it came to getting a fire started. Plus with the solid doors I couldn't really see what was happening, just knew the fire was going.

Fastforward to just ordering a few and trying them out and all I can say is that the garbage man is going to be finding a whole poo load of newspaper in the recycling next week.

Top down w/ newspaper works just fine, but 1/4 of this supercedar is stupid easy and fast. Less than 10 mins after putting the match to it I have the stove turned down nearly to cruising level as the probe thermometer was about to 900. It would have been closer to 15 or maybe 20 (depending on how many newspaper knots I felt like making and how well they stayed situated) minutes before I normally get to this point.

Ultra impressive getting to watch the little fella burn w/ the glass door too.

pen

Used my first piece of SC today. Almost forgot how well it worked since I had some excitement today. :grrr: Thanks Thomas.

pen said:
Top down w/ newspaper works just fine, but 1/4 of this supercedar is stupid easy and fast. Less than 10 mins after putting the match to it I have the stove turned down nearly to cruising level as the probe thermometer was about to 900. It would have been closer to 15 or maybe 20 (depending on how many newspaper knots I felt like making and how well they stayed situated) minutes before I normally get to this point.

Yeah top down was so nice the way it kick started my draft and left me with a clean pipe but I just gave it up after I finally broke down and tried the Official Puck Of The NHL (The National Hearth Association). I do believe that I get a little more accumulation in the pipe from the colds starts now but not enough to care about.

"Stupid easy" is exactly right. And like I have said, save that "pixie dust". Does wonders for that morning reload on some coals dragged to the front.

Pagey said:
raybonz said:
Pagey said:
Just picked up 6 Yuengling Black & Tan. So good.

Is that a dog species or beer? lol

Ray

Lulz. It's about the best tasting/bang for the buck beer you can get around here.

When I was racing motorcycles some guys on the USGPRU circuit really liked it. Not bad, not bad at all.

I see the discount code is still working, I'll be placing an order when I remember :]

I got a firestarter with my Blaze king stove, it looks very very similar to a super cedar.
Is it indeed one? Or some other brand?
I'll take a pic next time I wander out to my trailer.

Really? What's the current discount? (I may need to stock up!)

tickbitty said:

Look at the first post in the thread.

tickbitty said:

yep, i was hoping it still works and it does!
On the first post still.

Status
Not open for further replies.